Pages

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Faith

It's 4:30 am and I should be sleeping!
I want (!) to be sleeping! but allergies (runny nose) and a million things circling in my head have me awake, so it's better to just get on up and do something productive until I feel sleepy again.

Do you ever have those kind of nights?

One part of my brain is wondering if I got everything to Konda that she needed...
She's hosting the Fat Quarter Stars Quilt-Along at Moose on the Porch and I designed a block that goes on today.  It's called Friendly Winds.  It's over there, so that must have worked out OK!

Another part of my brain is wondering about the Cathedral Stars blocks I made.

I started this quilt back in March when Bonnie Hunter was gonna be at Pigeon Forge.  Jeff came home from Afghanistan (he's always disrupting my quilting plans! LOL), so I didn't get to go to Bonnie's class.  I'd mocked up the quilt in EQ in different colorways than Bonnie's:
It looks good on paper, but I'm not so sure about it on the design wall.

I'm up anyway, might as well try something else.

So I've made a block with yellow star points and one with blue -- closer to Bonnie's original:
I'm liking the blue the best.

Isn't it funny how things always look better on paper than they do in real life?

A budget.
A schedule.
A plan.

If there is anything I've learned this year it's that things don't always work out as we plan.  We'd planned Sam's senior year and college visits.  Things we  wanted to get accomplished before the winter set in.  I have no less than a dozen quilts I wanted to finish by year's end.  Not much of what we planned is gonna come about.  I wonder how this difficult year will end.

At our church over the last several weeks, we've been hearing a series of messages called "Champions" on Faith from Hebrews 11. (You can check them out here.)  Hebrews 11:1 tell us "Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see."  Faith is resting in all Christ is and all Christ has done.  Faith is having confidence in what God has said.  Faith cultivates a life that is in agreement with God.  Faith lives in light of future anticipation....

That the best is yet to come.
That the present reality is not an indication of the future and what it holds for we who believe!!

One of my favorite movies is The Shawshank Redemption.  Andy Dufresne, played by Tim Robbins, tell his friend, "Remember Red, hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

At the end of the movie, Red, played by Morgan Freeman, says, "I find I'm so excited, I can barely sit still or hold a thought in my head. I think it's the excitement only a free man can feel, a free man at the start of a long journey whose conclusion is uncertain. I hope I can make it across the border. I hope to see my friend and shake his hand. I hope the Pacific is as blue as it has been in my dreams. I hope."

Proverbs -- always full of practical wisdom! -- tells us "There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan that can succeed against the LORD." (Proverbs 21:30)  There is so much to hope for, so much to believe!

I hope my quilt turns out as pretty as Bonnie's.
I hope I can get everything done today that needs to be done.
I hope I can go back to sleep!

Blessings,

16 comments:

antique quilter said...

great post, yes that happens to me too
allergies are tough right now and once my brain starts working falling back to sleep is almost not achievable!
I like the blocks so far I bet your quilt will be wonderful keep going!
I too am learning to go with the flow more and hey plans are meant to be changed sometimes. So much of it is out of our control, thoughtful post thanks.
Kathie

Mad about Craft said...

Not sleeping sucks - happens to me quite often but I'm too lazy to get and do something.

I agree with you, the blue stars work better.

Pat said...

Yes,the best IS yet to come! All of your blocks are beautiful. Blessings, Pat

Lynette said...

I really love your Friendly Winds block - it's so pretty and the fabrics are perfect. I hope you get better sleep tonight. {{{{ }}}}

Sarah Craig said...

So good to see your post this morning - I was beginning to wonder how you were doing and ready to email you to find out! There's much to take to heart in your post - as always! Love all your quilt blocks, too. Still praying for you!

Rhonda M said...

Good morning! I love your blocks, and I love the scripture you shared. You have been in my thoughts lately and I will be lifting you up in prayer.

StitchinByTheLake said...

Oh Mary Lou, I've had nights like that...frustrating. But next time I have one I will remember this post and I'll rest in hope. blessings, marlene

Anonymous said...

I have my fair share of sleepless nights as well and it drives me crazy to lay there and think about all the things I want to accomplish the next day....and if I'm tired how I won't be able to do them because I'll be needing a nap! I hear ya!!
Maybe I ought to get myself out of the bed and be productive as you were because those blocks are looking wonderful! Also the block Friendly Winds....sweet! Bless you dear friend....your in my thoughts regularly.

Janet O. said...

Love that Friendly Winds block! Good job on that.
I like the blue star points best, personally--the yellow seems to sink into the other colors more.
"Life is what happens while we are making other plans". Trusting in what God has in store for us isn't always easy, but if we can do it we can feel that peace that is promised us. And yes, I believe the best is yet to come!

Miki Willa said...

Thank you for this inspiring post. Sometimes I need to be reminded about what real faith is.

angie said...

As always, wonderful, encouraging post! To me, faith and hope are often like life preservers...they're sometimes all we have to cling to when we fear we will drown in our circumstances.

New, exciting changes are coming my family's way. I'll post on my blog when we are free to go "public". God has taken our ashes and given us incredible beauty..can't wait to share. God Bless!

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

I really like the Friendly Winds block, thanks so much!

Wendy P said...

Thank you for that. I have been running low on faith this week. Doubt and self-pity are always so quick to fill the gap.

Bonnie's quilts are always intimidating to me, but hang in there! I've made 3 of hers and by the time it is all put together, you'll love it!

Grammasheri said...

Just what I needed. Thank you!

Michelle said...

I hope you start to feel better and get some rest.
Love the blocks too.

Lori said...

This past week reminded me of how quickly everything can change.

I hope you have had time to work on your quilt.