Pages

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

No Place Like Home!

I had a wonderful week in Mississippi and points south of KY, including a daytrip to New Orleans.  Thanksgiving dinner with the Carter clan -- my friend Jennifer's extended family -- was a blessing of hospitality and fantastic food, including my personal favorite, chicken 'n' dumplin's made like my momma's!! I couldn't help but miss her -- she would have loved such a gathering of family and friends and food!

We stayed in a sweet little cabin just outside Hattiesburg, MS.  Jennifer and I managed to hit a sewing shop, a quilt shop (Kelly's Pins and Needles -- I remember the name because on the web, the listing included gunsmith service!! I didn't see any guns in the shop, though!! :-D), a Hancocks and a JoAnn's with only minor whines from the teenagers.  (It helped that the JoAnn's was close to a Guitar Center, and lunch was next on the agenda!! :-D)

Not that the teenagers needed shopping therapy....
They kept each other and us entertained.

I was very disciplined (for me!! LOL) in my fabric buying.  Kelly's shop had a nice red Thimbleberries that I got yardage of and the Simpler Time line from Holly Taylor that I got a charm pack and enough extra to make a lovely Schnibbles.  Not sure which one, yet...but something will speak to me, I'm sure! :-D


I also managed to get three Circuit Rider blocks done during quiet mornings at the cabin.  Looking out the large windows at the lake beyond provided the perfect peaceful setting for hand work.

Since getting home on Saturday, I've not managed to sew a stitch, although Step 2 of Bonnie Hunter's mystery quilt, Roll, Roll Cotton Boll, was calling my name! :-)  I'll get to it sometime this week... perhaps later today.

In the meantime, I'm enjoying the simple pleasure of being home -- of walking through my house and rummaging through my cabinets to find something to eat, and using the Reading Room at my leisure. :-D Of ACT prep for Sam and school work for both the boys.  Of walking in my sewing room and planning a shift in the furniture, organizing projects and getting back into the joy of accomplishing something!

The Psalmist writes, "How blessed is the one whom You choose and bring near to You to dwell in Your courts.  We will be satisfied with the goodness of Your house, Your holy temple." (Psalm 65:8 NASB)

It is good to be home!

Blessings!

13 comments:

Shelley said...

so glad you had a good time Mary Lou! Love your fabs....great choices!

Staci said...

Glad you had a wonderful visit with your good friends.
Nothing like coming home to your own bed, though!

Anonymous said...

Welcome home dear friend...welcome home!

Crispy said...

Welcome Home!! I've missed you :0)

The boys look like they were having a wonderful (and loud) lot of fun LOL.

Crispy

PS - The blocks are lovely :0)

Lori said...

It sounds like a fun time with good memories. Welcome home!

Michelle said...

Welcome home! Sounds like you had a fun time away, but like you said, "There is no place like home." I know it's my favorite place to be. :)

Lindah said...

So glad you had a fun time, Mary Lou. It's always good to come home. :-)

Teresa Rawson said...

I'm glad you had a great trip and are home safe. The south came to me this year in the form of my Dad, Step-mother, and favorite aunt. It was cold, cold, cold here in Michigan, which they weren't crazy about. I didn't have the heart to tell them that this is nothing compared to what is coming!! The push is now on to get ready for Christmas...Santa's workshop is open and humming!

In stitches,
Teresa :o)

John'aLee said...

It's good to go...but it's always good to come home. Love the blocks.

antique quilter said...

welcome home
sure looks like you had fun!
and oh a little shopping too , that is always a good thing!
Kathie

Autumn said...

Quiet mornings...those pictures of the boys make it look quiet indeed. =O

Patty Sumner said...

you are correct....there is no place like home. Blessings!

Barb said...

Looks like fun was had by all. that word fabric is great - welcome home.