Pages

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Who I AM

My chicken is having an identity crisis!
Since her sisters were eaten by coyotes or foxes or wolves or something...well, she's been a little lonely, and I've had a time trying to keep her off the back porch.  I don't mind her presence per se'...it's what she leaves  behind that is rather, well...not cool. :-D

But she's made some unlikely friends.  Tommy and Lucky, our cats, don't know what to do with her! She eases up and starts eating out of their cans, like she's one of them!

I even put chicken feed in a can for her...She won't have it! She wants to eat what the cats are eating.  Doesn't she know who and what she is!?!

My sister stopped by yesterday and noticed my design wall with my "All About Me" blocks, so far, on it.  I'm working on framing the fabrics that represent "me" a little at a time, when I'm in the mood. :-)
I have a weird assortment of fabrics representing "me."  And my quilt is only going to be a lap-sized quilt.  I've figured out that I'm kinda a boring person! LOL
I've not been many places, so there are no exotic locales represented by my fabrics.  I love movies and  books and quilts and fabrics, scripture and Christmas, and quilts and fabrics, post-it notes, pens, music and ships.  Did I mention quilts and fabrics? 

 I have some army-type fabric for my husband, and school-marm fabric since I homeschool. I have a purse with my name on it -- not because I like purses (that would be interesting!), but because how often do you find a piece of fabric with your name!?!
I'm framing my novelty squares and rectangles with fabrics and colors that I love, and when I'm finished the quilt will be a snapshot of who I am.

It won't be everything....but it will be representative of many things that are dear to me.

It's a very important thing to know who you are, I think.  Especially as women! We are cast into so many roles -- wife, mother, chef, chauffeur, doctor, nurse, teacher, counselor, lover, quilter -- and we excel at multi-tasking.  It's easy to lose sight of those things that are quintessentially "me."
I cannot let my many roles define me.  Rather, who I am should define them.

Jesus understood all about identity!! As you read the Gospel of John,  Jesus takes you on a journey of His "I Am's":

I am the Messiah (John 4:26).
I am the Bread of Life (John 6:35).
I am the Eternal One (John 8:58).
I am the Light of the World (John 9:5).
I am the Door (John 10:7).
I am the Son of God (John 10:36).
I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life (John 14:6).

He knew Who He was, and that determined all that He did...right down to His gift of death on the cross and His gift of Life through the resurrection!


I suspect my lonely chicken will figure out who she is when the chicks are big enough to roam the yard with her.  On the other hand, she may totally freak me out one of these days by meowing at me!

Either way, I know who -- and whose!! -- I am!!

Blessings,

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the chicken story!

I am a Mother - that is the season of my life that I'm in - of course I'm a great many other things as well, but that role seems to have become prominent...and I actually just blogged about it. I haven't lost my identity in picking up this role and running with it...I've rather embraced that this is what God has ordained for me in the here and now. It's a season of my life and it will pass...when the children are grown. =)

Thanks for the post today...I love who Jesus is!

pcflamingo said...

And "I am the great I AM". What an excellent way to celebrate all the facets of YOU in that quilt. I am thinking of a charity quilt version with some of the billion bits of children's novelty fabrics I have. Thanks for such a great idea!

Rebecca P said...

Love your chicken story,I think it shows, if your part of a family, you can fit in even if your a little different.
What a great idea to make a quilt showing who you are. I will have to start collecting "Me" fabrics.
Hugs,
Rebecca

Tracy said...

I love how you incorporate Scripture into every post, Mary Lou.

Poor chicken! Did you know that dry cat food is actually good for the chickens when they are molting?

Miki Willa said...

Wonderful chicken story. I think it is wonderful that she has found new friends. I also like your idea of making a quilt all about you. How fun to search for the fabrics that help to tell your story. Wonderful idea.

Diane said...

That last sentence was the most important. I love your blog.

Maureen said...

Ditto to Diane's statement! I love the idea for this quilt; looking forward to seeing the finished project.

Crispy said...

Your poor chicken will find herself soon I'm sure LOL.

You left out one thing....you are also a dear friend :0)

Crispy

Dot said...

Yeah, my chickens love everyone else's food, too. Especially mine! I love the idea of a "Me" quilt--although I'd either end up with tiny scraps or a huge quilt. Most importantly, I'd need Princess fabric. I'm a child of the King!

Loved this post--thanks!
Dot
dminshall67@yahoo

Patty Sumner said...

Honestly after spending around 42 hours in 4 days at the shelter I am not sure I know anything......Love the quilt. I cannot wait to see this one. Blessings!

Taryn said...

I think I owe your chicken an apology. I might have eaten a distant cousin. Not that he wasn't delicious, but I can understand how that would make her a little flinchy. Tell her I am down with the cat identity and commend the multicultural barnyard.

Angie said...

I was reading an article the other day about having chickens. I says that they don't handle being alone well and if you are going to have chickens you should have no less than 3. It seems they need to have a social order; alpha, beta and so on. If they don't have a social structure they go a bit nuts. Guess your little girl is proof of that! I am sure she will get better when the babies are big enough for her to boss them around. ;)

Anonymous said...

Your chicken just wants BFF's...don't we all? Too cute!

Lori said...

The chicken is hilarious! Love your quilt too, Mary Lou.
I agree with waht you've posted- its easy to lose ourselves amd not know who we are. You bring home a great point, and answer!

Miss Hillbilly said...

Oh,I do wish you'd join in our "May for Me" month and share that quilt...In fact your whole post today was perfect for May for Me!

You are so right...it is important to remember who we are...and a follower of Christ being the top.

Well, regardless if you join us or not, I am going to blog about this and post it tomorrow as I've already blogged today. Thanks for reminding me that I am a follower of God first...above quilting or homeschool or any other role that I have.

MARCIE said...

Even a chicken needs a friend! Very cute! How fun to be finding fabric to represent who you are. I need some diet coke and Hershey fabric!

A Plain Path said...

LOL...I love your cute chicken! I like having chickens free roam and sitting outside watching and listenting to them. But, don't like it if they get in the backyard...not allowed on my deck. Droppings are not fun!

I love your Miss Smarty fabric. Fun to see the fabrics of you. ;-)

Belinda said...

Love the scripture references! Great blog girl. I'm doing May for Me too and wanted to say hi! I'll be following you.