Pages

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Cravings!

The Keebler Elves have ruined my life!!!
Who knew!?! No one tells you that "reduced fat" fig newtons don't taste like real Fig Newtons!  There are no warnings on the bags of "100 calorie" packs that these cookies don't AT ALL taste like real Oreos!!

It's a conspiracy!!  "Woe is me! For I am like the fruit pickers, like the grape gatherers, there is not a cluster of grapes to eat, or a first-ripe fig which I crave." (Micah 7:1 NAS)  :-D  If the prophet had eaten fig newtons, he'd be even more depressed!!

As I overcome my do-nothings (and my discouraging weight gain this past week! Ugh!), I think what I really crave is a new project!  So today I dove in!!

The Brown Bag Quilt Project!!

The fabrics I received from JaiCi were an odd collection of calicoes -- a neutral, a red, a black, a brown print, a purple and a gold from Connecting Threads and a pink-with-white dots.  What to do with these....?  When you have the do-nothin's, you have time to ponder the deep mysteries of life!!! LOL

I'd settled on "Granny's Jam" from the book, Laps from Fats, and I added three more fat quarters in teal, green and yellow and some more neutrals to have enough fabric for the pattern.  Last night I started cutting and today I started sewing.

What a surprise!!  I think I'm falling in love with these quilt blocks!!  I still have pieced borders and sashing to add....but I think I may get this one done this week!

It's NOT on my UFO list...but I think it was the right project to inspire me to work on #10.

Who knew that a quilt challenge that was originally called The Ugly Quilt Challenge (or was it ugly fabric quilt challenge?) would produce something I might actually like!!? 



I still have some red and some neutral to use, and a 2" strip or so of the remaining fabrics, all of which I will use for backing and/or binding (the challenge requires that we use 90% of the fabric we were sent).  I have  a pretty paisley I'm thinking of using for an outer border.  What a fun challenge this is turning out to be!!

Who knew a craving could be a good thing!!?

Good ol' Peter -- he of the hot temper, cutting-off-of-ears, denying, impulsive temperament -- had sage advice about what we should crave: 

"Like newborn babies you should crave (thirst for, earnestly desire)
the pure (unadulterated) spiritual milk,
that by it you may be nurtured and grow unto [completed] salvation,
since you have [already] tasted the
goodness and kindness of the Lord." 
(1 Peter 2:2-3, Amplified)

Once you have tasted the "real thing," it's hard to settle for less!  I crave more of Him Whose goodness and kindness always taste like heaven!

And I believe I'll save some points for Oreos and Fig Newtons.  Just sayin'.... :-D

Oh! And new quilt projects!!

Blessings!

15 comments:

Meredith said...

I like your blocks they are very cute. I find it best to eat the way God intended me to. No processed foods. Makes life easy.

Miss Hillbilly said...

And ding dongs. Gotta save some points for them.

Emma said...

Maybe you'll have better luck with temple maintenance if you make it a game. That's how I usually make it through tough things like that...if you know how much weight you want to lose you could do a paper chain, 1 link per pound, and as you lose a pound you take off a link, BUT if you gain it back you put one back on. Don't know if that would work for you...either that, or find foods that you LOVE that are fewer WW points and keep them all over your house, just in case.

QuiltSue said...

I LOVE your "Do Nothing" quilt. The fabrics looked so unpromising, but now you have played with them, they work wonderfully together.

Sarah Craig said...

I love that little quilt!! I've got to get cracking on mine soon - I haven't even looked at the fabric in forever - I'm almost afraid to now!! And here's a tip - one diet I went on had you choose a "safe fruit" and anytime you had a craving, you were allowed to eat as many of that fruit as you wanted. They recommended choosing a fruit that took a lot of prep time, like an orange or grapefruit, because that helped you get past the craving.....

Crispy said...

You are very creative when you suffer from the "do nothings". I love what you have come up with on this challenge :0) The owner of the bag is going to be VERY happy :0)

Crispy

farmhousequilter8 said...

I love this quilt

StitchinByTheLake said...

What a perfect pattern choice for those fabrics - they really seemed to work when you find the right pattern! And, like you, I too am craving more of Him today. blessings, marlene

Lori said...

What a great quilt from "ugly" fabrics!!

Cheri said...

What a great pattern to use those fabrics in. I think it is always fun to just get back to some basic patchwork sewing. Have a great day.
Cheri

Impera Magna said...

That's just amazing... you start with so-so fabrics and turn them into beautiful blocks!

Anonymous said...

It always amazes me what becomes of those so-so sorta fabrics that we just suck it up and use (so to speak). This happened to me recently with the older scraps from my 2.5" strip bin and making Scrap Basket Paddle Wheel. The end result is a beauty...just as your NEW quilt in progress. Inspiring to make...don't add it to that UFO list!
Some really yummy cookies....Carr's Ginger Lemon Cookies.....just one a cup of tea and I'm satisfied.

Mary said...

I've never seen this block before - I like it!

Debbie J said...

The quilt I am working on now definitely has some uglies in it, but I see some possibilities of combinations in there that I hadn't thought of before. So, I guess we need to try out some of those uglies and see what happens!

Your quilt is going to be lovely. I like it.

Barb said...

your new project looks like fun.
The only diet snack food that has delivered for me is Kettle Korn Lite, I buy it at trader joes, lol....
someone mentioned ding dongs - gosh I used to love them, and ho hos