Pages

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

More Diversions!

I've been thinking alot about that Diversion sign....
I think the reason that I have so many unfinished projects is that I get, well...diverted.

I looked up the word to be sure that is what is happening to me! LOL

Definition #1 is "to turn in opposite directions."  True, true. But not where I am this morning. :-D   Definition #2 is the very one:

To give pleasure to especially by distracting the attention from what burdens or distresses. syn see AMUSE

Amuse...yes, that suits me better today! LOL
I have to laugh because I keep getting diverted by joy and excitement...the next project!!! :-)

There's the Circuit Rider.  I'm plugging along on it, feeling good.  Gotta finish it so I can do....
Roseville ... Kathie over at Inspired by Antique Quilts is doing hers in reproduction fabrics. And she's also working on a Baltimore Album quilt, one of my dream projects!

Crispy at Crispy Quilts just got a great deal on Philip Jacobs fabrics, and those would be yummy for Roseville, too...

And Janet at  Mrs. Sew 'n Sew just started her Civil War Bride quilt, which I have the pattern for.  Isn't it gorgeous! I wanna start it!!!

I also got my Brown Bag Quilt contest fabrics in the mail from JaiCi...
Immediately I started pulling fabrics to go with those and looking at designs...maybe Monkey Business from Scrap Basket Surprises...

And I have some "commission" quilts I need to assemble...

Here are blocks made by my guild/club members at Mountain Laurel Quilters!  Aren't they wonderful? We donate a quilt to our local Optimist Club each year which they raffle for their Youth programming. I'm auditioning sashing and borders....

And here are blocks for 3 quilts to give to a homeschooling family who lost the mom to breast cancer. 
Diverted, indeed!!!
But it truly is therapy for me! So I'm diving in.  Just need to establish priorities.

1.  Mountain Laurel Blocks...They're for a quilt that needs to be done in time for our Quilt Show (see details here:  Mountain Laurel Quilters).  I'm only doing the assembly; the quilting will be done by Paula at Paula's Quilting Pantry.

2.  Homeschool family quilts -- We'd like to get them to the family by Christmas

3.  Ongoing Circuit Rider -- 'cause I gotta get it done before I'll allow myself to start the others on my list! :-D

and then there's Numbers 4 through 178 (a conservative estimate): All the others on lists of planned, wanna-dos, somedays, and whenevers!

There's an apropos line from the movie The Great Debators, directed by and starring Denzel Washington (I love him :-D); the preacher dad tells his son, "We do what we have to do in order to do what we want to do."  Good advice (if only I could apply it to the dust and dishes! LOL)!

In Scripture, the "must do" is tied to a promise.  Deuteronomy 5:32-33 says this, "So be careful to do what the LORD your God has commanded you; do not turn aside to the right or to the left.  Walk in all the way that the LORD your God has commanded you, so that you may live and prosper and prolong your days in the land that you will possess."

Yeah...The Lord asks that we not be diverted (definition #1!) from Him.
I'll be needing those "prolonged days" if I am to finish everything on my quilt lists!! 

Blessings!

11 comments:

Mary said...

I'm working of the Circuit Rider quilt, too. I have all the blocks finished although I have to admit I changed a few to others I like better. (Hey, it's my quilt!!!) I have them joined, marked and layered, so if the weather cooperates and we have a normal winter, I'll quilt it this year and get it bound. I'm like you - I want to finish it before I start another large project.

Staci said...

I enjoyed seeing all your pretty things and your want-to-dos this morning. It is nice to know I'm not the only one who has trouble staying on task! I'm struggling with that problem this morning, telling myself I can start something new next week! Pretty bad when we have to 'bribe' ourselves! So much fabric, so little time!

Debbie said...

Love this post....what I refer to as "insight". I learn about life and faith in my quilting too. I often escape to my sewing room as a diversion! Wonderful projects, you have a lot on your plate. Best advice....make the list, post the list, work on the list, add to the list,and eventually you get to cross something off the list!
Personally, I find I can only handle two projects at once or I get overwhelmed.

Barb said...

wow!
so many great things to look at here. I love the CRQ and have 2 friends in Illinois who have made it, it a good one!
Love the CWBQ too, what a great project. It's been fun to watch the ladies on the Roseville quilt too.
the blocks for the show quilt are lovely too

Patty Sumner said...

Again, I am lost in a quilters world. I love the quilt that looks much like a cross stitch sampler. Actually, I have had to find projects to do. Why? It helps me to keep my mind and heart in focus with the Lord. Satan tends to mess with my head and heart when I do nothing. I also have to be aware that sometimes I get to busy and loose my wonderful time with the Lord and his Word. Oh to find the happy medium...I guess that would be heaven. lol.

Patty Sumner said...

Again, I am lost in a quilters world. I love the quilt that looks much like a cross stitch sampler. Actually, I have had to find projects to do. Why? It helps me to keep my mind and heart in focus with the Lord. Satan tends to mess with my head and heart when I do nothing. I also have to be aware that sometimes I get to busy and loose my wonderful time with the Lord and his Word. Oh to find the happy medium...I guess that would be heaven. lol.

Crispy said...

Soooo many wonderful diversions Mary Lou!! So far I have managed to skip the Circuit Rider and the Civil War Bride patterns....so far LOL. We are going to have to live well into our 100's to get all those wanna do's done. Maybe we can all meet up at the same Nursing Home and happily stitch out senior years away :0)

Crispy

LuAnn said...

Mary Lou, I think that several of us need to make up one of those big orange DIVERSION AHEAD signs and put it on our sewing room door. I would be first in line to purchase one. I like your idea of making priorities. Think I will follow your lead.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Definition #1 sounds like "repent" to me. I can definitely be diverted (def #2) easily, I need that sign for my sewing space!

"We do what we have to do in order to do what we want to do." That is my husband's motto; it is, fer shure, the truth!!

Have fun with your perfectly charming diversions, they are blessings to cherish!

Gkathgoldin@yahoo.com said...

lovely fabrics & a heart of kindness & will send my friend anna. ((hugs))

Teresa Rawson said...

Man, was I ever behind on reading your blog!! I decided I'd comment here so not to get lost in the wake of your fabulous give-away. Happy anniversary! Your husband, and all our national treasure (our soldiers), are in my thoughts and prayers. I can not imagine what that must be like for you...having him there. Your posts are so cheerful and fun.

Good luck with the Kim McLean quilt. I am going to jump in as soon as "Stars and Sprigs" is available to purchase (the pattern)...I'm running out of patience...I WANT IT NOW, I WANT IT NOW, I WANT IT NOW!!

OK, OK...I'm better now. Bless you and hang in there, sweetie!

In stitches,
Teresa :o)