Pages

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Fabric In, Fabric Out

Fabric buying moratorium is not going so well.  Sigh.
I justify myself by saying that for every piece coming in, some more is going out!! :-)
Our quilt show was this weekend, and I had to support our vendors, otherwise they won't come back -- and they are really nice people!!!

I've mentioned Paula's Quilting Pantry before -- she's my local quilt store, so I didn't buy from her at the show (I buy from her most every week! LOL)

The other fabric vendor we had was Fabrics 'n Quilts from Jamestown, TN.  Shannon is always fun to be around (and she's sooo sweet! [winks to you, Shannon! LOL]).  This is the fourth show I've gotten to visit her, and I always buy! LOL  Great selection, great service! What more can you ask!

Here are some of the goodies I picked up:
A very small haul for me, actually -- and you wouldn't believe all the people calling me to accountability (sheesh!) -- "Aren't you s'posed to NOT be buying fabric!?!" LOL

6 half yards of Cherish Nature by Deb Strain for Moda.  These were "go-withs" for a layer cake I bought from Shannon back in April. :-)  I'm working on a Schnibble with them.  Some Thimbleberries fq's, some charm packs.  So I didn't go wild.  Shannon's place would be a good one for it, though! :-)

Like the Stash Buster girls, though, I'm priding myself on some fabric going OUT as well...

I've got the Fall into Fall Giveaway packages ready to go to the winners!!

An Aunt Grace charm pack to a gal making a quilt for the baby she's carefully saving to adopt.

A Jo Morton fat quarter pack to a great fellow blogger who is more encouragement than she knows -- and who deserves a little blessing in return.

A set of wool pieces -- cut from men's suits bought at Goodwill for $2 each!! -- for a dear one who has a passion (and a talent!) for wool.

I find myself looking around for things to add to each person's pile! :-D  It's sooo much fun to share -- and my experience has been that every time I obey the impulse to give, I get more blessed than I could ever imagine.  It's really not fair!! LOL  I'm don't give for what I get -- but I get so much!!
Listen to what God says about giving: 
  • A generous man will prosper; he who refreshes others will himself be refreshed.  Proverbs 11:25
  • A generous man will himself be blessed, for he shares his food with the poor. Proverbs 22:9
  • Give, and it will be given to you.  A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap.  For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.  Luke 6:38
  •  Remember this:  Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously.  2 Corinthians 9:6
Compared to how richly I am blessed -- Every. Single. Day. -- I am not nearly generous enough.  My little ready-to-go packages look skimpy and small to me compared to how much God gives me.  Thank the Lord that He is not fair :-), but He is good and just. 

Who do you know that you can be a blessing to today?  Obey the impulse (Godly nudge!) to give and see what happens!
Blessings!



A few quilt show photos:

19 comments:

Becky said...

So many patterns, so little time! Oh Mary Lou, I'm looking at those wonderful pics thinking - I love that block, and that one, and someone made the quilt I want to make - only someday!!!! I visit a quilt shop, I fall in love with fabric. I purchase a quilt mag (a serious addiction for me) I fall in love with pattern. What a tough world we quilters live in! Your blog is such an inspiration Mary Lou, thank you so much. I love the verse from Luke! We're dealing with a mountain right now, and all of those scriptures just lifted my spirit. You're a great quilter, yes, but more importantly, you're a great teacher and exhorter. Blessings

antique quilter said...

what beautiful quilts at this show. thanks for sharing them with us. That Conway album is just so beautiful
on my list of quilts to make someday ;) LOL>
isn't it hard being on a fabric diet almost as hard as a regular diet ok ok actually harder!
LOL
everyone is going to be so thankful for their gifts this is so nice of you.
Adding those fabrics to their future quilts will make them smile when they see it and remind them of you.
Kathie

Shellie said...

Please tell Glennis that her quilt is GORGEOUS!! and your new pieces are beautiful - how could you NOT buy them?? ;)

Anonymous said...

It really is hard NOT to buy fabric! I can totally understand. =)

I do think you are very generous and I'm sure that others will be pleased with the great packs they receive from your giveaway!

Diane said...

I think it's SO HArd to not buy fabric-it's so lovely. You're being 'aware' that you're trying not to buy probably helped you buy less....a good start.

Shelley said...

Love how you treated yourself and what a nice quilt show! I love seeing the traditional style quilts :)

Crispy said...

A life lesson learned....if you are going to set an impossible goal, don't tell anyone. That way no one can hold you accountable ROFL.

Beautiful fabrics!!

Crispy

Kathleen said...

Lovely fabrics you got. You have to break the rules sometimes!Thanks for sharing the quilt show pics.

Lori said...

Whay gorgeous quilts!!! And so generous of you and your giveaways!!

LuAnn said...

You know you did the right thing supporting the quilt show vendors. Good job!!! LOL You made some great purchases there. I love seeing quilt show photos. Beautiful quilts!!!

Debbie said...

I know the weakness of wanting to help support the vendors....did it myself this weekend. LOL.
I have the Godly nudge quite often lately...obeying brings so much in return. Thank you for blessing me with your words from God.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

You are a blessing to the vendors! Great post, it made me smile. I got a Godly nudge at the end when I saw that Southern Album pictured in your "show and tell", it was a quick reminder to finish mine! Groan.

Anonymous said...

It is wonderful to see quilt shows through others camera lens when we can't get there ourselves. I enjoyed! I agree that it is wonderful to have the vendors at the shows and to keep them coming on back we have to "encourage" them. Besides...it is hard to not take a sampling. LOL
Enjoy your week!!

Sarah Craig said...

Thank you for the lovely little reminder of how blessed it is to give - and how God gives back, overwhelmingly! Just this week I bought some fabric I really couldn't afford for a quilt ministry need; when I got back home, there was an e-mail from church saying that they had a check for $250 for the quilt ministry needs (we are currently unfunded, so any money we get is a big surprise!) God is good, ALL the time!!!

Reenie said...

Oh, I don't know what I like better...the new fabric or the quilts!! Thanks so much for sharing with us. Definitely inspiring!

StitchinByTheLake said...

I can't tell you how much I delighted in reading this post today! I'm working hard to respond to some God urgings regarding generosity - he's teaching me lessons about that very thing on a daily basis. That must mean I still needs lots of work in that area. :) blessings, marlene

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for your support of the vendors ;-)

I love visiting with this group of ladies. There is such a warmth & love among them, it is tangible. There are a few more pics of the wonderful quilts on my blog too:
http://fabricsnquilts.blogspot.com/2010/10/wonderful-weekend-with-mountain-laurel.html

Loved your comments on giving. I think that giving is not always a tangible thing. Your post & the comments above are evidence of just that.
Happy Stitches!
Shannon

Debbie J said...

Yes, its definitely true that is more blessed to give than to receive and you should be blessed indeed for being so generous!

Leslie said...

I hate that I didn't get to come and enjoy the quilt show, but baby/naps were calling my name. Hopefully next year I'll not only get to come, but maybe be able to put a quilt in the show!!!