Pages

Friday, May 6, 2011

Advance or Retreat!?

My household has taken a dramatic turn!

I've gone from just me and the boys -- easy living, really.  There's the running, but we mostly foraged for food and went to our corners of the house:  Sam with his drums, Will with his video games, and I in my sewing room!!  So from me and the boys to me and the boys and the husband (home on Sunday)and the college age daughter (home on Wednesday) all home at the same time!!

Yesterday morning I was struck the by the CROWD!!
In my little sewing room, first one boy then the other came in.  Then Emily, then Jeff....FIVE people in my sewing room. Asking me stuff.  Needing or wanting my attention. All talking at the same time.  Wanting to be fed!!

Calgon take me away!!!!

Advance or retreat?  Too late.  I already retreated BEFORE they came! LOL  I spent Thursday, Friday and Saturday at a retreat center in Central KY far out in the country.  I live in the country! This was even further out in the country. And it was lovely!  The gals were such fun. Games, giveaways, stories, projects, food -- all the good stuff!

I mostly worked on one UFO -- my Thimbleberries Hometown Christmas -- and a new project, Spools, from Edyta Sitar's book, Friendship Strips and Scraps.
Autumn took some great photos of the different projects and quilts at the retreat and you can see them here.  I took photos while I was there, but hers were so much better than mine. So pop over and take a look!!
I came home from retreat on Saturday and picked Jeff up on Sunday.  Then Wednesday, we packed up Emily's dorm room at Asbury and headed south. 

It really is good to have the whole family under one roof again for the first time in over a year!

It will take a while to get back into our routine.  Jeff will return to his "real" job in a few weeks; he's an Agriculture Extension Agent for a local county through the University of KY Cooperative Extension Service.  He'll take some much needed R & R time at home, though. :-D  My sewing time may get curtailed a little! :-D

Emily is spending her summer home with the family, too.   In previous years she did summer missions work with a camp in Lafollette, TN, but this year the luxury of our family being together is one she's going to take advantage of.  Jeff says there is work enough here at home to keep her busy if she doesn't find a summer job locally.

So advance it is!
Into renovated routines.  Into postponed projects (UFO #9 - the Circuit Rider and another recently  "discovered" (that's what I get for cleaning out the closet! :-D)  UFO, Star Sprinkles from Adkinson Designs).

Into the haven of home!

I am so very, very, blessed!

Psalm 13: 5-6
But I trust in your unfailing love;
my heart rejoices in your salvation.
I will sing to the LORD,
for he has been good to me.

Blessings!

14 comments:

Staci said...

I'm so glad your family is all together. Such a wonderful blessing, even better than quilting! You must feel like your are in heaven.
Love you spools! I love that Edyta Sitar book; I'm going to make the house quilt. Been collecting up fabric for it for a few months now, and can't wait to start. Been thinking about making the spool quilt out of the leftovers, cause I know there will be loads of leftovers!
Hope you have a lovely mother's day!

Carol said...

That is all wonderful news...the whole family home together. What a blessing. ENJOY! Love those spools...

Debbie said...

Reading your post reminded me of the verse from my Bible study that is just finishing up. It is The Inheritance study by Beth Moore. "My lines have fallen in pleasant places; indeed I have a beautiful inheritance." Your home and family are your beautiful inheritance, too. Advance and enjoy.

Impera Magna said...

I love your spool blocks... what a great way to tame my scrap bins! Thanks for the inspiration!

Deb said...

Be very happy that your entire family is together, safe and sound and enjoy that time, there's always tomorrow for more quilting.

Karen said...

Having your husband home must be wonderful!
The applique blocks look so good!

Handmade Crafts Done While RVing Blog said...

I so loved your blog today and it really made me miss my childhood - Very much like your household and now they all live in Germany. It's me and my husband here in the states and I miss them. Thank you for sharing your blessings with us.

Evielynne

Lori said...

You are blessed! How nice to have everyone home, even if your sewing time gets curtailed.

Crispy said...

I'm sure there will be moments of retreat but it will be wonderful to have everyone home messin' with you old schedule....such a joyful noise too :0)

Crispy

Michelle said...

Enjoy the family being all together....I know you are well aware that gets harder and harder to do as everyone grows up. Love your UFO projects!!

Vivian said...

Having the family all together is a true blessing.
I checked Autumn's photos from your retreat. A LOT of wonderful projects.
Some months ago I made a quilt with similar spool blocks, using scraps and strips. It's a unique way to use them (but I didn't make a dent in my scraps --GRRR).
I like your layout with the alternating squares.

The Civil War Quilter said...

I'm happy to hear your husband made it home safely. Enjoy this family time together. Boy, they grow up fast. Funny how they all migrated to your sewing room. Maybe it's the loving atmosphere in there that attracts them! Love seeing all your UFO's.

Barb said...

I'm glad you had such a great time on retreat. The idea of "country" sounds sooo good to me living in this populated area. I love your projects, especially the spools!

Health is Wealth said...


Apna Showroom Baby's Cotton Panties/Bloomers/Underwear stockings fishnet 5 hairband for men women baby panties (Multicolour, 1-2 Years)-12 Pieces
APNA SHOWROOM Baby Girl's Frock Knee Length Dress 18-24 months
APNA SHOWROOM Baby Girl's Frock Knee Length Dress 18-24 months
Apna Showroom Zigzag Wave Black Metal Unisex Hairband Pack of 2with desent look
Apna Showroom Men's and Women's Metal Hair Bands (Black) Combo set of 5 with desent look
Apna Showroom Men's and Women's Metal Hair Bands (Black) Combo set of 5
Apna Showroom Men's and Women's Metal Hair Bands (Black) Combo set of 5
Apna Showroom Baby Girls' & Baby Boys' Cotton Panties