Pages

Saturday, January 8, 2011

What I Really Want to Do...

No matter what I'm working on, something else sounds so much better!! 

I'm knee deep in Cotton, with the Quiltville Mystery, "Roll Roll Cotton Boll," and I really want push through and get it finished since the border segment (and the last one to complete the top!) came out today.  I'm still working on the string blocks, but I can finish the top this weekend, I'm sure.  (Don't mind the Farmer's Wife blocks on the lower right corner! LOL)


The UFO Challenge keeps begging my attention, too!  I put up the "American Heritage" pieces that make up the #6 UFO on the list of 12.  They are in my beloved Thimbleberries colors, all dark and fallish and -- it's the only Log Cabin I've made (well, started, anyway!).  Quilting for 20 years and never did a log cabin!! Crazy! And I so wanna get this four-year old start finished up!

But I also have a class coming up in a couple of weeks.  I'm teaching quick piecing techniques and one of the quilts we're looking at is "Ribbons" from Kim Brackett's book Scrap Basket Surprises.  I'm making a queen size, and I just need to sit down and finish up the last few blocks.  It's also calling my name.

And well....I didn't work on any of them.  Instead, I baked some homemade french bread sandwiches with ham and swiss (my friend Brenda's recipe!  It's so easy and good! and my late momma's old, old rolling pin, how sweet!) -- somthing I didn't need to do since I'm watching what I eat to lose weight...

Do you ever find yourself doing the very thing you know you don't need to be doing right now!?  Paul wrote about his inner conflict in Romans, chapter 7.  He said, "For I do not understand my own actions [I am baffled, bewildered]. I do not practice or accomplish what I wish, but I do the very thing that I loathe [[b]which my moral instinct condemns]....I know that nothing good dwells within me, that is, in my flesh. I can will what is right, but I cannot perform it. [I have the intention and urge to do what is right, but no power to carry it out.]   I fail to practice the good deeds I desire to do, but the evil deeds that I do not desire to do are what I am [ever] doing" (verses 15, 18-19 Amplified).

Baffled and bewildered.  Uh huh.  Know that feeling well.  Paul said, though, that in spite of his inclination to do wrong, that Christ could and would set him free of this conflict.  Furthermore, "Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus."  (Romans 8:1)

As quilters, we put a lot of guilt on ourselves and each other for not accomplishing, not completing, not perfecting...be it projects, or housework, or investments in the people we love.  I think sometimes we need to stop and consider...that if the Lord Himself offers forgiveness and frees us from condemnation for our sin, we can also let these little things go and rest in Him.

I'm gonna work on Roll, Roll, and American Heritage and Ribbons in good time.  I'm going to eat one of my yummy homemade bread sandwiches and not splurge unduly on my diet.  Conflict resolved.  I am free!!  Doesn't it feel good!?!

Blessings!

22 comments:

Tracy said...

Love your Roll, Roll, Cotton Boll!

I'm working hard to finish a top this weekend, too-the Criss Cross Too that we started several months back.

My boys enjoyed their sandwiches, so your efforts paid off!

QuiltSue said...

Oh I can so relate to your question about finding ourselves doing the one thing that doesn't need doing right now. That's why I'm on the computer rather than finishing the dusting I started, straightening up the living room, making several quilty things ...

QuiltSue said...

PS I meant to say I LOVE your log cabin and fans quilt - I have something very similar all drawn up in EQ7 waiting for me to start it.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

love the scrap quilts! beautiful!!!
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Reenie said...

Well, all 3 of the quilts you are working on are beautiful so I can see why you are having a hard time sitting down to just one! I used to work gangbusters on one top at a time. Lately, though, I have found myself hopping from one to the other to the other. It frazzled me at first, but now I am kind of liking it this way. They all get done, I get to enjoy a different aspect of each one at the same time..it is working for me. Btw...I wonder if you could mail one of those sammiches??

Crispy said...

ROFL, ok I'm laughing at you today. So much for UFOs. I think just picking one and hiding the rest would work well for you LOL.

Crispy

Barb said...

I'm feeling baffled and bewildered at my inability to get christmas away and a blog post together! Today.
Love your cotton boll blocks aren't you pleased?
the log cabin blocks are great too

Patty Sumner said...

Ham and swiss on homemade french bread..Is this good for your daily point system? Be careful!!!!

Focus on what you need to do and do not do what you do not need to do! Pattyphrased...Paul was speaking of things that pull us from our mission for the Lord..However, I guess if you can use that to relate to your quiliting more power to you! Stay focused!

Lori said...

I love it Mary Lou! Conflict resolved!! Yes!

Staci said...

How well I know that feeling. UFO's are born from that feeling. Also days where not a stinkin' thing gets accomplished because I can't manage to settle. And, of course, it isn't just quilting that I have trouble with, it spills over it other parts of my life. Definitely something I struggle with, more now than when I was younger. I think because when the kids were small, their needs came first and I was so busy there was not much time left over to dither. Anyway, now am working on this, and I am getting a little better. Focus on the needful thing and push through. And since misery loves company, I'm glad to hear I am not the only one!

Anonymous said...

I love looking at all your beautiful creations...or UFO's. I guess that we just have to take one day at a time. =)

Janet said...

I love how your RRCB is coming along. It's been an interesting mystery to watch unfold. The log cabin blocks are really wonderful.

Teresa Rawson said...

Your RRCB is looking FANTASTIC! Trying to settle on one...hmmm...I'm having that trouble which is why I working on 2 UFO's right now, LOL! That Old guilt is a creative spirit killer, no doubt. We all need to be gentler on ourselves. I am certainly harder on myself than anyone in my life would ever be. Thanks for the soothing words.

In stitches,
Teresa :o)

The Purple Turtle said...

Your post really spoke to me today. I'm beating myself up to try to finish a quilt for a friend and it's getting to the point where I'm setting unreasonable expectations on myself each day.

Thank you for reminding me that it's okay to work at a realistic pace.

=)

Leslie said...

Too funny! I've found myself doing the same thing. I signed up for the UFO challenge as well and my #6 project is to just quilt and bind a table runner I made ~2 years ago. Simple enough right? Well, I bought some crochet baby hat patterns online for my Great Aunt who decided that she didn't want them after all so I just can't let them go to waste :-D I also have to work this weekend, so maybe next week I'll get on that UFO!!!

Shelley said...

Not ten minutes ago I was feeling guilty about all the things I was not accomplishing because I HAVE to work. Going back to work has been a real struggle for me..it makes me mad that I don't have the time for quilting and home and friends like I am used to having. And that's where the guilt starts...so, thanks for today's verse...I really need to meditate on it lots until I get better at the whole balancing act..but it's hard to balance when you're kicking your feet in protest the whole way LOL!

Anonymous said...

Keep going with your Cotton Boll...it is gorgeous! Oh...and to add to all else a new book releases the 11th that you will absolutely need to have...I post about it tomorrow!

ImperaMagna said...

I love that you are using your mother's rolling pin! I have my mother's and it looks very similar to yours... I think of my mother every time I use it!

Quilter Kathy said...

You have so many fabulous projects on the go...wow!
No wonder you can't decide which one to work on!

John'aLee said...

Love your post.....could so relate!
The quilts are beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Love all your in progress projects! That scrappy one is maybe my favorite though! And posting at midnight...now I know how you get so much done!

Debbie said...

Mary Lou I love the RRCB and am doing that one, also. Hoping to get something finished, soon!!
You get so much done, on a regular basis, even though you have many more things, you want to accomplish. Time........you will get there eventually.