Pages

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Hearts and Sparrows and a UFO or two

July is passing too quickly!

I'm hoping to put the Heart blocks together along with completing this month's UFO's for Judy's UFO Challenge. My #2's are the top of the Victory Quilt (for which I have all the blocks done!), and quilting for Somerset (a Jo Morton pattern).

I've decided to name the Heart quilt, "Sam's Darlin' Hearts." :-)  Mostly because all the blocks are sweet and because they make me cry like Charlene Darlin' on Andy Griffith! :-D

The latest addition to the collection of blocks in memory of Sam comes from Barb at Fun with Barb.
Somerset (I "tweaked" Jo's pattern
by putting the blocks on point)

Barb pieced the background of her block from scraps of her Mother's Garden quilt.  She designed the beautiful memory quilt, completed the top last year, and she is hand quilting it.  It's a stunning tribute to her mom, and you can read about it here: Good Mourning

Her card said, "...I have only scraps left over from my 'Mother's Garden' quilt and very much wanted to use it for you.  I have one of my sparrows flying in with a double dose of Friendship and Love."

Quilt-in-a-Day's Victory Quilt blocks
The sparrow....well, that's another beautiful story.  Barb wrote about it in  The Sparrow Story and you'll be blessed as I was to note it's symbolism. 

I had to look up the lyrics to the song by Simon and Garfunkel that Barb referenced (it'd been a long, long time since I'd heard it!).  The last verse says this....
Who will love a little Sparrow?
Will no one write her eulogy?
"I will," said the Earth,
"For all I've created returns unto me,
From dust were ye made and dust ye shall be."

The little sparrow is a perfect addition to the quilt!

I've started planning the setting for the blocks...

I'm gonna use Sam's favorite blue to frame the lighter blocks, and a creamy delicate floral to frame the darker ones.  I've not arranged them yet in their final layout (there are a couple of blocks still coming, I think!), but I love shifting them around, standing back and listening as they sing to me. 

They are an orchestra of color, and the sum total of them more amazing than any single block.  And each has a story or a card or an encouraging word to go with it.  I'm making a page to tell their story (see above, Sam's Quilts) and the story of the quilts that will be made in his memory.

Barb references Psalm 84 --
3 Even the sparrow has found a home, and the swallow a nest for herself, where she may have her young— a place near your altar, O LORD Almighty, my King and my God.  4 Blessed are those who dwell in your house; they are ever praising you.

She couldn't know that one of my "life verses" is Psalm 84:11:  For the LORD God is a sun and shield; the LORD will give grace and glory;  no good thing will He withhold  from those who walk uprightly. 

Coincidence? Maybe, but I prefer to think that even in these little details God is being Himself and watching out for His little sparrows!

I think God is all about the details...
See what He says (another passage with sparrows...):

Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from the will of your Father. And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. So don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows. Matthew 10: 29-31

You are more precious than many sparrows!!!   Don't that'n just make you wanna cry!!??  :-)

Blessings!

15 comments:

beth said...

I loved reading this post. I'm so happy to see your heart quilt coming together and the reminder that God DOES care about all the little things.

Leslie said...

so true. so true. God is in ALL the details. What a precious promise to claim.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

I would like very much to contribute a heart to this glorious collection in memory of your precious son. Is it too late?

Janet O. said...

What a heartwarming post. The quilt is wonderful! Thanks for sharing these very special and emotional times with us. We take strength from each other. God bless!

Debbie Neel said...

Hi Marylou, This is such a pleasant surprise. You and Marlene were always quick witted and I love it. I hope to see you soon, Love you Debbie

Barb said...

Hello friend!
I'm so glad you like my block and card.
I too also so love the passage from Matthew, but it came to my attention after the first sparrow quilt. So I didn't include it in the sparrow quilt post.
What a wonderful quilt of friendship you are creating to comfort yourself and remember Sam.
xoxo

Sarah Craig said...

Yes it does! How amazing that He knows exactly what we need and when we need it! I'm seeing a lot of that these days.... I'm so happy to see your heart quilt coming together so beautifully - there's lots of love for you in that quilt!! Still praying.....

Miss Hillbilly said...

I have a block sitting here...I thought I might be too late. Shoot me your address and I will mail it tomorrow. I am so happy I am not too late!

QuiltSue said...

I love how you are setting your heart blocks.

Crispy said...

As soon as I saw the block I knew it was from Barb. She is such a great lady. There is so much love going into this quilt :0)

Crispy

Lori said...

Yep, brings tears to my eyes!! Ajmazing how He loves us!

Lynette said...

A tear-jerker, for sure. I just love the blue and cream you are using. They pull everything together in a pretty, cohesive way.

Reenie said...

Oh, the heart quilt is going to be WONDERFUL!!! What a testimony of love. I just love when evidence of God's love pops into your life when you least expect it. Makes me laugh when people talk about "coincidences" that happen in their life. I love to see the look on their faces when I explain that those aren't random events..it is God showing Himself to them! Priceless!!

Teresa Rawson said...

Hi sweetie,

I hope to get my block in the mail for you on Monday...I just got back from another 8 days down home in Alabama. LOTS of work to do THERE! I took sewing with me, but never got it out of the bag, LOL. So leave a little hole for me and mine!

In stitches,
Teresa :o)

A Plain Path said...

Beautiful quilt, beautiful post, and beautiful gift of God...His love and care for us.