Pages

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Another one bites the dust...

The fifth one done!!
I'd planned to get "five in a row" quilt tops completed by the end of the first week of November.  I'm only a little behind that goal.  The three tops for a family who lost a mom to breast cancer will be delivered for quilting on Saturday.  The Sun Bonnett Sue is awaiting its owner's pick-up.

And late Sunday night (well, actually, early Monday morning! :-D)  I finished the t-shirt quilt!! YAAAAYYY! LOL

Finishing feels so good, doesn't it!?

I've got more in the works to be completed.  I'm super busy, so many things to do this week as I get ready to travel to Hattiesburg, MS for Thanksgiving (how cool is that! I and my 3 children are crashing my friend Jennifer's family reunion with about 150 people and some of the best southern cooks in the world!!).  I've got house cleaning, and homeschooling, and bookkeeping work to do. Yet, I'm also in some kind of sewing frenzy.  (I promise I'm not on any kind of stimulant except Pepsi and truvia-sweetened tea!!!!!)

Rack 'em, stack em' and pack 'em!  Head 'em in, and move 'em out!!
Another one bites the dust!!

Isn't that an interesting phrase?  I "googled" it ("Google is the source of all wisdom," I say with tongue in cheek.).  Here's what I found at UCLA's Daily Bruin:
Strangely enough, “bite the dust” has been around since the King James Bible was published in 1611. According to the Bible, “They that dwell in the wilderness shall bow before Him; and His enemies shall lick the dust” (Psalms 72.9). While “lick the dust” is a variation of the phrase we know today, it still contains the similar meaning of falling to the ground in defeat.
One of the first uses of the phrase as we know it today was in Tobias Smollett’s translated version of “The Adventures of Gil Blas of Santillane,” published in 1748, as it appeared in a quote: “We made the two of them bite the dust, and the others prepare themselves to fight.”
But one of the more familiar associations is with Samuel Butler’s translation of Homer’s “The Iliad,” as Butler uses “bite the dust” to describe the death of Roman soldiers in battle. Probably the most recent uses of the phrase (not counting the Queen song) occur in old Western films to describe fallen cowboys.

So from the Bible to Queen, “bite the dust” has been making a reputation for itself for more than 300 years. With phrases that have histories like “bite the dust,” it is a wonder that they are still in use today.
Cool, huh?
But I prefer that first prophecy of the coming of Jesus in Genesis 3:14-15:
14 So the LORD God said to the serpent, "Because you have done this, "Cursed are you above all the livestock and all the wild animals! You will crawl on your belly and you will eat dust all the days of your life. 15 And I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and hers; he will crush your head, and you will strike his heel."

Rosalinda Celentano as Satan in Mel Gibson's The Passion of the Christ.
Mel did a great job of portraying how Jesus crushed the head of Satan!
The Lord bascially told the serpent (the devil, himself!), "Eat my dust!"  And with every enemy He defeats in our lives, He says, "Another one bites the dust!"

Freddy Mercury and Queen got nothing on Jesus! LOL

Now, back to my sewing frenzy!! (Oh! and I'll sweep and dust while the iron heats.)  I've got 9-patches, and sashing, and LeMoyne stars to work on!! And Circuit Rider blocks to prep to take with me on the ten-hour drive.  Maybe I'll have another finish to share before leaving for M-I-crooked letter-crooked letter-I ....

Blessings!

Crooked letter-crooked letter-I humpback-humpback-I. (Does it ever end!?!)


12 comments:

QuiltSue said...

Don't you just love Google? The stuff you can find out on there is so great.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

"...and another one's gone, and another one's gone... another one bites the dust!"

I know you are thrilled have these completed; well done, you! They look terrific!

Anonymous said...

Love the Tshirt quilt and I never associated bit the dust with lick the dust...but it's an interesting thought. =)

Rhonda M said...

So happy for you to be getting your quilts done! I hope you enjoy your Thanksgiving with your friend and her family. Having married into a family from Mississippi, I can confirm the wonderful cooking in the south. God bless!

Shellie said...

Go Mary Lou Go!! ;) doesn't it feel great to get stuff done!! and so beautifully, too!

Happy Thanksgiving

A Plain Path said...

More awesome work!! Amazing!

Crispy said...

Hooray on the finishes!! Have a great time down south for Thanksgiving :0) I almost never Google, I leave that for my blogging buddies so they can educate me LOL.

Crispy

Barb said...

You always have such interesting information for us! I love learning these tid bits on your blog posts.
Your projects look great and congrats on finishing the 5th~
I love the T-shirt quilt, plan to do one myself one of these days..

~Niki~ said...

Ok, what is a lemoyne star block? what does that look like?
My father went to lemoyne college in NY and i thought ~maybe~ hmmm. I've never made him a quilt. bad bad daughter.
you're on a roll with 'them' quilts girl ;)

Anonymous said...

So good to see progress and your feeling well! Geez....I want to join your Thanksgiving plan! Sounds wonderful...imagine all that assortment of FOOD, FUN and FRIENDSHIP!!!

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

You are making my head spin with all you have done and with all you have planned! Go get 'em, girl!!

Lindah said...

Mary Lou, you make me chuckle and shout Hallelujah in about the same breath! Bite the dust, indeed. I'll remember that the next time I'm being pestered by the one who crawls on his belly eating dust.

I have visions of a whirlwind dancing through your house today as you work your way through your quilting and cleaning and preparing for em i crooked letter.

I need to have you give me whirlwind lessons --or better yet: share some of your energy with me!

Have a great time.
Linda