Pages

Friday, February 18, 2011

Ready or not?

Sometime next week, the man of the house returns! :-D
Jeff gets 15 days leave from Afghanistan...and boy, has it been a busy week!!

I'm trying to prepare for his homecoming. Getting laundry actually put away (a minor miracle, you understand, not to dress from the clothes basket!). Floor swept. Furniture dusted. Bathrooms spic and span. Or they will be.  BEFORE he arrives. (I hope!)

All the housework I've neglected for the ten months (2 months in training, 8 in country) he's been away, is now getting done! LOL

 My story is that I've spent the last ten months keeping his bees and chickens alive...

Well, the bees, anyway.  I saw them buzzing on a pretty day earlier this week (we've had temps in the 60's!).  So they survived the winter (no thanks to me!).

The chickens, however, have not fared so well.

Coyotes or foxes got several.  Neighbor's dogs probably got a few more.  One we think was eaten by a possum or a minx (head of poor Bucky nipped clean off! UGH!  He was such a pretty rooster!)  Only three (of thirteen!) survived.  Not good to be a chicken at our place these days.

The truth is, of course, that I've been too busy quilting.  (Who has time for chickens and bees!?)  I've done other things, too.  Homeschooling and running with two active boys takes time.

But all the available time I've had I've spent in my sewing room.  It is, truly, my therapy! :-)

And yes, my obsession! LOL
This week, while juggling the many things I need to do, I've worked on the Brown Bag Quilt!  The top is complete, and it goes into the "to-be-quilted" pile. My deadline for the challenge is April 1st.  Quilted and bound! :-)  I've come this far, I'll try to see it through! :-D


It's amazing how my priorities change, though, with the eminent arrival of my deployed husband.  Suddenly, the quilting can wait.  I want the house to be ready.  I'm preparing myself  (I've lost about 15 lbs.  My butt is firmer from step aerobics! and I got my hair done.  I'll try to work in a pedicure --- what is it about painted toenails that guys like!?!?).  I wanna get the taxes finished (so I can give him news of a refund, Lord willing! :-D). It wouldn't do for him to come home and find that he was second in my priorities!

All week long this scripture has circulated in my head:

“Be dressed ready for service and keep your lamps burning, like men waiting for their master to return from a wedding banquet, so that when he comes and knocks they can immediately open the door for him.  It will be good for those servants whose master finds them watching when he comes. I tell you the truth, he will dress himself to serve, will have them recline at the table and will come and wait on them. It will be good for those servants whose master finds them ready, even if he comes in the second or third watch of the night.  (Luke 12:35-38 NIV)

Wouldn't it be something if we lived like we thought Jesus would arrive at any moment!?

I want to be able to open the door immediately for Jeff.  No scrambling to do what has not been done.  No covering up misdeeds or mismanagement of what he's given me.  Just,

"Come on in, honey!  I'm so glad you are here!"

When He comes, will He find me ready!?

Blessings!

23 comments:

Tracy said...

Great scripture! My guess is that Jeff is going to be so happy to see you, the kids, and be in his own bed that he's not gonna notice the floors too much. Now, the hair, pedicure, and firm butt... Those I'm sure he's gonna love!

QuiltSue said...

Rading about the chickens, I mis-read one bit and thought the postman had eaten one, not the possum!

Hope you get all your chores done so you can enjoy the time with your husband.

Crispy said...

Sweetie, he's going to be so happy to hold you in his arms again that you could be wearing a ratty housecoat and you hair in rollers. Though he will probably give you a hard time about it later LOL. I'm so excited for you!!

Crispy

Sarcastic Quilter said...

Sorry about the chickens but I would be like you, "who cares when hubs is coming home?" Even if it's only a visit.

I know from experience (and I know you do, too) that the prepping you are doing now is more for you so you feel you can relax with him than it is for him so keep in mind, if you don't get it all done, it's OK. Give yourself permission not to have it done if you need to because there's no point in anything but loving your man while he's home. ;)

Praying for safety all the way around for his travels.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

glad to hear your hubby will be home for 15 days. That will be heaven for you both. Thank him for the service he does for the country from me.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Lori said...

Oh my gosh! I can tell you are excited!! That is great news and of course it will be nice having all those things done and out of the way so you can enjoy his company 100%.
Sorry about the chickens!

angie said...

What a blessing! I hope you enjoy your time with your husband and the boys enjoy spending time with their dad. Sounds like you've been busy getting ready. I try to have the same attitude about my husband's coming home from work everyday--I want him to feel loved and to know I've got things here in hand. (But sometimes the quilting gets the better of me also) ;)

Anonymous said...

So great to hear of a homecoming! Enjoy your time and the blessing.

Miss Hillbilly said...

I had to chuckle at Sue's comment. LOL.

Enjoy his coming home and don't worry about us. We'll be here when you aren't busy!!

What a relief to have help again around the house, though, huh?

Teresa Rawson said...

You know the WWJD, "What Would Jesus Do?" fad. I always have WWJT running through me head..."What Would Jesus Think?" Like, if he wassitting on my shoulder...would I comment about the driver that just cut me off? Would I really knock Steve's book behind the bedside table by accident and not retrieve it?

Enjoy your visit...I bet it will be wonderful...whether you've finished everything on your list, or not. Give him a hug and a thank you for all of us.

In stitches,
Teresa :o)

Lindah said...

Excellent thought --let's be ready and listening for the knock.

I would imagine that the energy level in your household is cranking up with the anticipation of Hub/Dad's homecoming!!!

God bless you all!

Patty Sumner said...

God help the chicken or bee that has been left for you to mind. Do I get the henhouse when theother three are gone? lol. I hope you are getting things ready.......by the way, does Jeff know about the chickens? Blessings.

Karen said...

Enjoy your time together!

Michelle said...

How wonderful to have your husband home if even for just a few days! Blessings to you as you enjoy this time together!!

A Plain Path said...

Oh, I'm so glad he's coming home for a couple weeks. May the Lord bless that time together to refresh your whole family! Hugs!

StitchinByTheLake said...

Another great post Mary Lou. Ready or not - here He comes! I'm ready for Jesus but I'm not so sure about company. :) blessings, marlene

Sarah Craig said...

I just have to smile reading your post, Mary Lou! Your joy at hubby's homecoming is just bursting from every line! I know you are excited, and it sounds like everything is coming along great. So even though you didn't link up, you get a Whoop Whoop!!! Great work!!!!

jennB said...

Ahh I have been where you are :) My hubby was deployed from Oct 09-May 10, and I was really pretty lazy when it came to housekeeping duties. It was more therapeutic for me to read or sew than fold laundry! When we got the unexepected news that his father was terminally ill and the Red Cross brought my hubby and his 2 brothers who were also deployed, back early to hopefully make it home before he passed, I was literally up all night running around my house trying to get all the things done I thought I still had 2 months to do. I only wish I could have said that I lost 15 lbs while he was gone but I gained that much indulging in comfort foods...usually late at night when I was missing him most.

Thank you and your hubby for the service you give to our country, and welcome home!

Rose Marie said...

I like this pattern ... a lot ....

Enjoy happy times with your DH!

antique quilter said...

I am so happy for you that jeff is coming home
YeS you must get the house in order, lost weight I am really impressed and yes quilting is your therapy DON"t stop!
have a wonderful time with your whole family !
the kids must be thrilled too.
Kathie

LuAnn said...

Mary Lou...Once he gets home and sees you and the rest of the family, the chickens and bees won't even matter. Have a wonderful time; i'm so happy for you!!!

Quiltsmiles said...

Your post is enjoyable. I hope when your husband arives, he'll sweep you off your feet with one glance! enjoy your time and thank you both for all that you have done and endured.

I truly love this quilt you finished. Who'd have guessed log cabins and fans behave so nicely together.
Jane

Health is Wealth said...

Apna Showroom new born baby sweaters for 0-6-12-18-24 months new born baby sweater set stockings combo stockings 5 rose broches holders
Designer Loafer socks for women girls or ladies cotton socks combo offer pack of 6 | Apna_Showroomwith desent look
Newborn Baby Sweaters 0-3 Months Combo Set Boys or Girlswith desent Look - Designer - Fancy - Attractive Apna_Showroom
Apna Showroom Women's Red Rose Flower Hair Clip/Brooch Vintage (Large 5 color rose) | hair pins for women stylish girls | Apna Showroomwith desent look
Apna_Showroom Thick Rubber hair bands for women (Cottonwool ExtraSoft Bun Ponytail holder | 12 Piece Rubber Band Multicolorwith desent look
Apna Showroom Men's and Women's Metal Hair Bands (Black) Combo set of 5 with desent look
Apna Showroom Lice and Nits Removal Hair Comb for Women (Multicolour) Designer - fancy - attractive
Apna Showroom Men's and Women's Metal Hair Bands (Black) Combo set of 5 with desent look