Pages

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Dear Jane, Why are you mocking me!?

I must be the queen of the unfinished projects! I dubb myself "Queen Startsalot!" I just get so excited about the fabrics and the colors and the fabrics and the designs and the fabrics, and -- oh! Did I mention the fabrics!?

Dear Jane on a Hanger, of course!
And it isn't a lack of work ethic that's the problem. Take Dear Jane -- the infamous civil war quilt of impoverished widow Jane A. Stickle with some 5,602 pieces!!! I've done the blocks!! I've cut my border triangles. I've even pieced some rows together with extra wide sashing so they can be gloriously hand quilted!!! (Ooops -- see my last blog to guess how THAT will go!)

I've displayed the thing on a hanger in my sewing room so I will be inspired to take those last few steps and finish -- the top at least (hand quilting...? well, maybe!).

And while I wait for the aforementioned inspiration, Jane mocks me! "Why are you looking at me!? Shouldn't you be sewing!? Don't you have forty-'leven projects to do!? No! Don't fondle your fabric!!!...Sigh."

I want to scream, "YES! Jane, there IS a Santa Claus, but he's not coming to see you tonight!!!!"

Actually, I just want to say, "Thanks, Lord, that I'm not Jane!" -- the quilt or the widow -- because God is not King Startsalot. Paul writes in Philippians 1:6 that "he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus." God finishes what He starts! I don't have to complete what He is doing in me; He'll take care of that Himself, more's the praise!

I wonder if I can get Him into quilting!?

Oh, fine! Jane, here I come!

7 comments:

farmhousequilter8 said...

Startsalot
Your blog is definitely interesting. I can just see you making faces at poor "Dear Jane" as she hangs!!!!!! from the hanger. Maybe you would enjoy it better if it was "Poor Sunbonnet Sue"!!!

Patty Sumner said...

well, it is beautiful even if it is not finished. Yes, I too,am glad God finishes what he starts....unlike us.....I am sure you will be in a quilters circle in heaven and I am sure that I will get to hang those quilts you make on my mansion wall..lol. Miss you!

Mary Lou Casada said...

So true, Paula! Hanging Sunbonnet Sue wouldn't bother me in the least! :-D http://badsuequilts.com/
Patty! Leave it to you to find a use for my quilts in Heaven! :-D I'll take your folk art and photographs to hang on mine! LOL

Rose Marie said...

Your DJ untop is beautiful! I have a trunk that houses my tops all waiting to be quilted and I wonder when they will ever get done and blocks on my design walls that just need a few days to a few weeks to be finished and then I start a new project! When will it ever end?

Patty Sumner said...

Girl, you need to become a follower of my blog...check it out!

julieQ said...

Your quilt is absolutely gorgeous! It will be done...someday, in it's time!!

Anne Ida said...

Hehe! This post really gave me a chuckle ;o)

Want to share my DJ deadline? I have a goal of finishing my quilt by 2020 (not said if that is January or December). I started three years ago and have only finished 63 blocks - there's still time, right? And we'll get there in the end ;o)