Pages

Friday, September 3, 2010

Big Girl Panties

I first read the phrase over at Teresa's blog (Fabric Therapy -- click here).  Then, lo and behold, Shelly had a picture of it on a quilt at her site (Red Quilts -- click here) -- so I'm thinking Somebody might be trying  to tell me something.

Shelley took this photo at the Augusta, Maine quilt show. Check out the other scrumptious quilts she photographed at http://redquilts.blogspot.com/!

I suspect it has something to do with so many quilting irons in the fire. My friend, Paula, of Paula's Quilting Pantry, sent me a list of her unfinished projects.  She only has SIX projects that she started in previous years.  I think I might have quadruple or quintuple that number (or more, but I don't know the "...uple" word for it). Hmmmmm.....

Case in Point:  Sunbonnet Sue.  I'm not much of a Suzie fan. She's too cute-sy, cute-sy for my taste.  BUT! I have some blocks that I won in a drawing from my quilt club friends in....2006!!! The blocks are signed and dated, can you believe it!?!?!  Like I need more quilting guilt....

The blocks really are lovely, though, and I have a design in my head for all those Suzies complete with framing, sashing and pinwheel cornerstones and a lovely fall (because Suzie's theme was fall and I won her at our Thanksgiving meeting) border print to spruce up her setting.  It should be a fine quilt, even to a Sunny Suzie hater like myself.

She's not my only long-overdue project.  I've got a "To Do" list a mile long.  My husband is deployed, so most of my evenings are available to work.  It's time to "put the big girl panties on."  I'm not going to live forever and I don't want my kids left with the unenviable burden of disposing untold millions of unfinished projects.  Not to mention them selling Suzie and her cut-out pieces at a yard sale for a quarter. Can you feel the collective quilting world gasp at THAT prospect!?  Can you feel Suzie's silent disapproval beneath those countenance-covering bonnets?! Very disturbing!  I'm taking her completion very seriously from now on!
The apostle Paul understood about limited time and accomplishing something.  He wrote from prison to the church at Philippi, "...one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.  All of us who are mature should take such a view of things..." (Philippians 3: 13b-15a)

He knew all about big girl panties.  He had only a while before his execution for the cause of Christ.  He made the most of his time.  He put some major effort in.  He pressed on.  We should all be so wise.  (I'm not just talking about quilting!!)

Excuse me while I go change my underwear!
Blessings!
Mary Lou

4 comments:

jan said...

Love it! I've been needing a little kick in my "big girl panties" to get me motivated!! Thank You! :) I'll let you know what gets accomplished! Have a wonderful Friday, you've already made mine a little brighter. ;)

farmhousequilter8 said...

I'll take them!!!!.....the BLOCKS not your panties...
I love those, I had forgotten how cute they were. This is a perfect time to get them done...God gave you such talent, in more ways than one..

Debbie said...

I suppose you stayed up all night to finish Sun Bonnet Sue? She is absolutely gorgeous!! I happen to like her, in all her different activities. Sue makes such an old fashioned-looking quilt and reminds me of older family members that are long gone. My Mother did not quilt, but we had old quilts, that could have been from my grandmothers. Love your blog!!

Rose Marie said...

When I was in a quilt guild, I met a lady that had absolutely no UFO's. She simply worked on one project at a time and would never start another one until that quilt was made into a top. Me ... I have way tooooo many projects on the go and enjoy working on them at different times. But, I agree with you, we are not going to be here forever and I've been getting my projects at least made into tops.

Those Sun Bonnet Sue blocks are sweet. I'm not a fan, but they are sweet.