Pages

Thursday, November 24, 2011

Never Alone

I'm finding it hard this just-turned Thanksgiving morning to find words...

This is our first without Sam, and it surely feels like something vital is missing...laughter, noise, and that greatest of all holiday accessories, the teenage-boy-eating-machine!!  :-)  I've dreaded the holidays this year, knowing these "firsts" will be difficult. Funny...we anticipate with such impatience the firsts of life's beginning. First teeth, first steps, first words.  Not so much those firsts of life's end.

I spent some time earlier this evening looking at photos from last Thanksgiving...

We traveled to Mississippi with "adopted" family -- ties forged between children and mothers who share adventures and hobbies, and time and treasures. What a blessed, sweet time we had together! 

And I find myself thankful for friends and family and times that can never be recaptured but can always be remembered. 

And thankful for here and now...

And all that is to come.

As I shed a few tears tonight, a Word came to me from Joshua...

The book of Joshua in the Old Testament begins, "After the death of Moses..." and God gives a charge to Joshua as he is to be the leader of Israel.  "Be strong and courageous" God tells him, three different times!

The final time He says, "Have I not commanded you?  Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go."  (Joshua 1: 9 NIV)

Perhaps I can find words, after all.

Thank You, Lord, for so many blessings.  Beautiful children that You entrused to me and Jeff, one who has already accomplished all You purposed for him and who is with You now!, a wonderful home, memories that are not only precious to this momma's heart, but include testimony of Your goodness and mercy and what You can do with a life given to You.

And thank You for Your Presence and Your promises to never leave nor forsake.  How well I know You keep Your word!!

May God richly bless YOU this Thanksgiving!!
Blessings,

21 comments:

Miss Hillbilly said...

Many hugs and prayers for you. I fear next month might be hard as well.

Thank you for letting your Light Shine so bright, no matter the circumstance.

quiltercaroline said...

Thinking of you today. Sending you a BIG hug. C

Janet O. said...

Prayers are with you, Mary Lou. So grateful we can be nourished by the good word of God.

Shelley said...

Oh, MaryLou, my heart cries with yours. Today you make new memories, memories that don't have Sam, and I pray that God's presence is strongly felt in your home as you go about this day. (((Big heartfelt hugs))))

Becky said...

Wishing you a special Joy this Thanksgiving. Joy that Sam is enjoying life in heaven, joy that he left you with the great memories of the laughter and the eating and the love. Joy that God loves us all so much. God bless you and yours.

The Quilted Finish said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you. Sending you hugs.

Me and My Stitches said...

Thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

Fred said...

I have on one of my Sam shirts today. I love wearing them! I love you all and think about you most often. Happy Thanksgiving!

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

I pray that God will carry you through these first holidays without Sam....

You found beautiful words today Mary Lou...

Deanna

the ark said...

Will it help to know that you have many friends out here who care about you and are wishing you good thoughts during these difficult times? I hope so. Hang on. You raised a beauatiful son who had a joyous life. You did a wonderful job with the time you had together. I hope this can be a comfort to you.
Take care of yourself!
Tricia

The Civil War Quilter said...

Thinking of you and your family today. Treasure those memories. It's wonderful that you have such sweet ones to remember.

Needled Mom said...

Prayers and hugs through these difficult firsts.

Lori said...

We can hold onto to the words in Joshua. Peace and love to you this day.

Cheri said...

Bless you Marylou and your family. "Blessed are those who mourn for they shall be comforted"
Matthew 4:5
Cheri

Phyllis said...

Thinking of you today and all your family. Thanks for sharing your Sam with us.

Pat said...

May you be filled with joy and perfect peace that passes all understanding.

A Plain Path said...

Beautifully expressed. Much love and prayers for your family.

Sarah Craig said...

Praying for you, friend!

Patty Sumner said...

One of my favorites......God reminding his people; things have changed but I (God) have not. He is still with us, guiding us and has our best interest at heart. What a good God. Still, we have to take that step forward and walk out what we know to be true. Scott and I are praying for you. Our hearts hurt for you. I can only imagine what you are going through. I just wish we could help more. Blessings and be strong and courageous in this new land. good word!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Remembering you and your family in prayer for strength and courage throughout the holiday season; I am blessed to have found you here in this great, big blogosphere...but, then, how could I have ever missed you? Your light shines brilliantly. Thank YOU for blessing me, for blessing all of us, this verse from Joshua is vital and you are a shining example of true discipleship. Hugs to you, Mary Lou!

grandmarockton said...

always the 1sts are the hardest but memories never leave us!