Pages

Friday, September 17, 2010

"That's just ugly!"

Have you clicked on the Brown Bag Quilt Contest button yet?  So exciting!  Here's the deal:  We exchange 2 yards (in whatever denomination -- quarters, halves, full yards or what not) with a designated person and then have to use 90% of the fabric we've been sent, along with whatever we want to add from our stash, to make a quilt.  Fun, huh?  I can't wait to see the fabric I'm getting! I hope I am creative enough to come up with a cool design.

Drew my own block out of the bag.
Am I as RED as my sweater with
embarrassment!? Um, yeah.
Curious, though, that the contest used to be called the "Ugly Quilt Contest." :-D

Apparently, the object of the exchange is to get rid of fabric that no longer speaks to you.  (The assumption is that the fabric SCREAMED your name once upon a time, and now it makes YOU scream! LOL)
 
Are we having fun yet!?! LOL

Well, I'm not worried.  No matter what I receive from my assigned partner, it can't be as bad as what I'm working on from my own collection of quilt tops!

One Christmas our club decided to bring friendship star blocks in Christmas colors for a drawing for a lucky quilter to win.  We didn't designate WHICH colors, just Christmas ones. OH. MY. WORD.  Did we get a bunch of interesting blocks!  AND  I -- moi, me, myself -- won the accursed lovely :-P things.


Did you ever see anything so...yeah.
 So I've put them together. And they are not pretty as a group.  I think this might actually turn out to be -- yes, you must agree! -- an UGLY quilt.

Did you know that "ugly" is not used at all, not once!, in the King James Version of the Bible?  Isn't that a hoot!? You know there had to be something ugly back there in Biblical times! 

The New International Version, yeah.  They got Ugly.  It's kinda hilarious:

Joseph (the coat of many colors guy) is listening, in Genesis 41, to Pharaoh tell his dream (of the impending famine, as it turns out).

Pharaoh says, "In my dream I was standing on the bank of the Nile, when out of the river there came up seven cows, fat and sleek, and they grazed among the reeds. After them, seven other cows came up -- scrawny and very ugly and lean.  I had never seen such ugly cows in all the land of Egypt."  (v. 17-19 -- emphasis mine! :-D)

What do I learn from this?  Ugly is for real.  I think it's this quilt! LOL  Check out one of the friendship star blocks! I hadn't the heart to fix it.  "It is," as my friend Pat from upstate New York (not the block maker) says, "what it is."   Perhaps the maker didn't want anymore friends. :-D 

Secondly, skinny cows are ugly.  It's proof from the Bible that you don't have to be skinny to be beautiful.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

The good news is that I'll use my Christmas Quilt to practice my machine quilting with my Hobby Quilter.  I'm an optimist.  Perhaps quilting will make the quilt.  Perhaps I'll learn to love the thing. 

Perhaps it will make some cow a lovely gift!
Blessings,

15 comments:

Staci said...

OH, Mary Lou! Thank you for a much needed laugh! I giggled all through the post! And you are right, that quilt, it could just be the perfect thing to keep one of those skinny cows warm this winter!

Interesting fact about UGLY in the KJV! Thanks for that!

Here is something silly: my verification word was "taters". Maybe we should feed them to the skinny cows??

Crispy said...

Well, the blocks could be used for a project Linus quilt or something. I must admit any quilt that has that awful friendship star block in it is ugly. I truly hate the look of that block LOL.

Hmmmm, not my usual cheerful and kind type of comment LOL.

Thanks for the good laugh this morning. Hey, speaking of ugly, I'll have to see if I can find a picture of the ugliest fabric every printed and send you a link :o)

Crispy

Patty Sumner said...

Now I am not a quilter (have never professed to be one), but I am a quilt collector. I think the Christmas quilt is rather unique and pretty in its own way. I have always enjoyed any type of handmande items; quilts, furniture, baskets, etc. I guess I like having things with a story. Speaking of stories......"ugly cows" or better yet, "ugly skinnny cows". You have to love that....very creative! Your quilt makes me think of Ecc. 3:10...He (God) makes everything beautiful in its time.......The Christmas quilt will be beautiful someday to someone! Keep on quilting!

Blessing! Your Sister Patty

jan said...

Mary Lou! Oh, you have made my day! I'm laughing so hard, my son thought something was wrong, and I was crying! I was grinning until I saw that block. Yes, it certainly is what it is. Tears are rolling down my face. ;-D Thanks for the laugh! See ya tonight!! ;)

jan said...

Also, love the poke at the NIV. ;) NASB kinda girl myself. They got ugly?

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

You have managed to bring sunshine into a rather drab day for me! I was laughing all the way through your posting. I do have to agree, that each block on its own is quite lovely, but as a whole group - ugh! Thank you for making me smile!!!!!!! :)

Kim D. said...

Mary Lou, you have me in stitches.. LOL Love your post, stopping in from FNS. I thought about joining in on the Ugly quilt contest, but decided I had too many projects to finish up. Can't wait to see what everyone makes with those uglies.

Nanna said...

lol what a refreshing post to read first thing in the morning, I guess ugly quilts are like those thigns you buy wehn you say thats' so ugly it's cute! LOL now you go hug your quilt & tell it you love it! LOL LOL
helen

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Very comical, you are a gifted writer and experienced tickler of funny bones. I think your exchange blocks make a great quilt on which to practice machine quilting, I have a hunch this piece will be an oft-used and well loved quilt; in due time.

Karen said...

I participated in an Ugly Fabric contest at quilt guild a long time ago. I won with a lime green Halloween fabric. The idea was then to put all the fabrics in a bag, draw one out and make something with it. Some interesting quilts were made using the different "ugly" fabrics.

Shelley said...

I don't think it's ugly! It just needs something else...maybe a black or green border?? Interesting to hear you have the Hobby Quilter..so do I...How do you like yours?

an encourager said...

hi there! you hopped over to my blog and i'm so glad you did, because you are funnnny! thanks for the bible teaching on 'ugly' - loved it! (esp the 'you don't have to be skinny to be beautiful'!!!!) :)

Debbie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
StitchinByTheLake said...

What a funny post - I loved it! And yes, ugly is real - I've seen it and heard it. But only once or twice, thank goodness. Thankfully, Jesus turns it all to beautiful. blessings, Marlene

Barb said...

so funny!
skinny cows might be ugly, but my daughter and I love them.
That photo is a riot!