Pages

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Home Away From Home

I'm spending this week in LaFollette, TN at Galilee Bible Camp where the kids and I have served during the last several summers.  It's Middle School week and Will is a camper and I'm leading worship each evening at chapel.

The staff and volunteers here pour themselves into the campers week after week during the summer.  They are dear friends, and they have been a wonderful influence on our family.  We are blessed to be a part of the ministry here.

This week, I'm not as active as usual at camp.  It's a kind of retreat for me, as there are memories of Sam everywhere.  Emily and Will, too -- so it's sweet and sad to be here with Sam gone, Emily grown up, and Will so quickly growing, too.

One of the missionaries, Rebecca, gave me a couple of heart blocks for Sam's Darling Hearts quilt.  She is catching the quilting bug (YES!! :-D), and rightly so with Selma Jean and I helping her catch it!!

Selma Jean, a prolific wonderful quilter, also made a heart block. And she surprised me yesterday with beautiful handmade ornaments, each embroidered with my children's names.

On Sam's she included the dates of his birth and death.  It struck me that from now on, people will see Emily and Will and think I only have two children.  But I have three.  I'll always have three. :-)  So three ornaments!! Selma Jean understands!!!

I brought projects to work on while at camp.  It's a nice quiet time for me, and I have some deadlines approaching....the Hands-2-Help quilt for Romania, for one!  I've got the blocks laid out and ready to be put together. The deadline is the end of the month....so yeah! Onward!! LOL

I also have another project that is short on time (aren't they all! LOL)!  This one, I can't reveal just yet, but here is a hint....

 

I have the rest of that quilt in my head...and it's gotta get outa there and onto fabric in the next couple of weeks....Let's hope I can make that transition from vision to concrete reality! LOL

Between the heat and my working on projects, I'm ready for sleep tonight.  I'm resting on a beautiful pillowcase made by my friend, Lil.  She makes dozens of pillowcases to share with friends, family and people in need.  She knows my colors (red, green and gold!!), and I love that she included a label on the inside, too.


It's an oasis here, a home away from home.  Maybe because I take "home" with me! :-D  My sewing machine!  My pillow and my quilts.  My Pepsi! :-D (and a bit of zucchini bread).  My family. My friends.  My memories.

And the God of all Comfort and Peace:

Psalm 139:7-10

7Where could I go from Your Spirit? Or where could I flee from Your presence?
8If I ascend up into heaven, You are there; if I make my bed in Sheol (the place of the dead), behold, You are there.
9If I take the wings of the morning or dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea,
10Even there shall Your hand lead me, and Your right hand shall hold me.

There's no place like Home!

Blessings!

16 comments:

Rhonda the Rambler said...

You are not too far from me these days. I am only about 45 miles from LaFollette in Cumberland Gap. I am glad to hear you are relaxing. It also pleases me to see I am not the only one who is a little behind on the H2H quilt LOL

Cheri said...

I am sure you are a great worship leader. I hope young hearts are opened this summer at camp. I am intrigued about the two pieces for the quilt you are not showing. Have a blessed week.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful blocks and ornaments! I love them! Quilters can be such kind people!

Janet O. said...

Hope this can be a healing time for you. You are in good hands--God's.

Kathleen said...

Do I see North Carolina and Virginia in those two "hints"??? or am I imagining things?

Enjoy the quiet time, and nurture yourself.

Sallie said...

I think I see where you are headed with your new project and can't wait to see more of it! Keep doing the next right thing on your temple maintenance. Don't give up! I hope you have a blessed and refreshing week!

Crispy said...

It's wonderful that you have this time to relax and enjoy your memories. Wonderful gifts you have received too :0)

Crispy - who really hates sneak peeks LOL.

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

I saw states too! :-) What a fun quilt that will be! Enjoy your camp time and the peaceful moments for yourself. {{hugs}}

Sarah Craig said...

Enjoy your time up there, Mary Lou! It's a beautiful part of Tennessee. Sorry I'm not close enough to jump over and meet you in person, but it's a bit of a jaunt from Nashville to there. Someday, though.... Hugs and prayers, girl!!

Leslie said...

My boys and I used to go to Hume Lake Christian Camps in Kings Canyon National Park in CA every summer. They would attend overnightcamp and I would rent a cabin with other moms. The camp held an adult seminar each week so we'd have "bible camp" also. Great fun. Great memories. It was after one of these camps that my son, Stephen (who passed away) made his decision for Baptism.

rooee said...

Enjoy your time in that beautiful part of the country. Blessings to you!

Lynette said...

oooo Kentucky and Tennessee - - looks very promising. Can't wait to see what you've envisioned. I hope you receive a lot of peace there at camp, even though it's bittersweet to be there.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

You are cradled in love and supported with prayer. I am so happy to read that you are surrounded by friends and campers in a healing and caring Christian setting such as this, what a blessing for you all.

Lori said...

It sounds like a much needed time away to rest and reflect. Also a good place to be held up by friends in prayer.

Miss Hillbilly said...

I love going to church camp and working with the teens. I am sure it is very bittersweet for you.

Aren't all projects short on time? Mine are. All of the time.

Michelle said...

What a beautiful place for a little relaxation and reflection! I curious as well to see what you are up to with those "states." :) Hugs!