Pages

Friday, November 12, 2010

Promises

You'd think it would be a simple thing to keep a promise!  You say you are going to do something and you do it.  Simple, right?

And quilty promises ought to be the easiest things in the world to keep because they are such fun.  But I find I'm coming up short in the keeping promises department. 

I finally finished four of the "five in a row" quilt tops I'd planned to get done a couple of weeks ago.  They are stacked up neatly waiting for their owners to come get them.  The fifth, a t-shirt quilt, is on the design wall, coming off in sections so that I can send it off to a mom who wants to get it quilted and present it to her daughter before said daughter finishes her first year of college!

I have another quilt that was promised to the daughter of my dearest friends.  I made both her sisters, Teah and Kendra, quilts; Whitney's Trip Around the World has languished on my "list" since she got married, then in the closet -- first the top, and when that was finished, the quilting of it (and I actually finished her baby's quilt instead of the big quilt I'd said was coming! Sheesh!) while her baby just turned 4! -- now it's been quilted for six or seven months, her house-warming has come and gone, and I've yet to put the binding on her quilt. 

I've promised to share patterns with blog friends.  They lay in a stack, waiting for printing or packaging...

Sometimes there are good reasons for not keeping promises...
A bout with bronchitis or running with the boys, the faulty memory of a nearly half-century old bat, or whatever.

Sometimes I'm just not "in the mood." 

Sometimes I'm captivated by stupid things like putting my thread in order by color number, or making lists of "wanna do's" or playing Spider Solitaire for the imaginary world championship (major eye roll!!!),  and I waste the precious time I've been given to do many good things, most especially keep my promises.

Jesus spent some time in the Sermon on the Mount talking about the keeping of vows.  Don't swear, he says, but "Simply let your 'Yes' be 'Yes,' and your 'No' be 'No'; anything beyond this comes from the evil one." (Matthew 5:37 NIV)  I'm thinking that "anything beyond" is probably the excuses I make when my "yes" becomes "later" perhaps to eventually become "never."  When what I wanna do in the moment is more important than the word I've given, the promise I've made.

So today I'm a Promise Keeper.  Jesus said to have "fruit in keeping with repentance" -- which means if I don't get my butkus in gear, I didn't really mean it! :-)  Patterns are going in the mail.  Bindings are being cut and sewn. Quilt tops are being finished and my "yes" is really and truly, finally, a "yes."

YES!!!

My husband tells me I should work on the "no's" as well! :-)  I think I'll start with him! LOL

Blessings!

P.S.  If I've made you a promise, remind me of it so that I can keep my word!! :-D

18 comments:

~Niki~ said...

No promise worries here~I'm the same way. How is it that I've been to your blog many times and never realized you make patterns? hmmm. do you sell these on Etsy or somewhere else? The quilt tops are beautiful.
I'm getting more and more behind on EVERYTHING, including life, as the holidays get closer. My mom is coming for 10 days and do you think I've started to clean ?? ugh.
have a great weekend Mary Lou!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

You continue to inspire me with your thoughts, words and wisdom. Thank you.

StitchinByTheLake said...

Fantastic post, as usual. You inspire me and more than that, make me think. Thank you. blessings, marlene

Anonymous said...

Such inspirational thoughts said today! Wonder what Jeff will think when he reads the last line!!!
Enjoy your weekend...just do what you can and when you can or even feel like it for that matter!

Patty Sumner said...

Well, I am with Jeff...."just say NO!!!!!" Or the old song, "don't make promises you can't keep".....Funny, Whitney just said the other day, "I wonder if Mary Lou lost my address?" LOL. Blessings and have a great one!

Stitched With Prayer said...

Mary Lou, I just knew, when I stumbled into your blog last night (wasn't it? ... 'senior moment here')*sigh* Anyway, where was I...oh yes, stumbling in. I knew I was here to stay and after reading todays post. Once again, I found myself laughing out loud and looking up to find a confused hubby looking at me. I simply said, "No point in reading it to you, you had to be there to get it, LOL". You are so right about promises. Boy, I make them with truly ambitious intentions and visions of sugar plums dancing ... well you get the picture. Then I too get distrated, often by many of the type of things and some of the very same things you list. You cracked me up with the "putting your thread in order by color" and the Spider Solitaire world championship, LOLOL. Hey, who won? I dropped out early cause I promised I would do the supper dishes cause hubby cooked, but I got distracted by the bedroom door being so close to the bathroom door and it was so easy to turn from the bathroom to the bedroom and besides, the bedroom was closer than the kitchen...so I went to bed instead. Yup...easily distracted, LOL. I did make up for it today though, I cooked, I cleaned, I let hubby do the dishes again. I try to be fair and share the wealth, he was so grateful I left something for him do *wink*. Okay, on a more serious note, message really hit home with of course the words of Jesus. My yes also needs to be a yes without excuses or distractions that are without merit. I will pray that I do a better job of keeping promises. I know He will be more than happy to give me what I call "the nudge" when I stray from a purpose. Thanks so much for the smiles, laughter and the reminder of the teachings of my beloved Jesus. Now, I can honestly say, that you have made no promises to me...of course, we've just met and meshed on the topic of reading in the privy. Have a blessed weekend. Hugs...

julieQ said...

I try not to promise anymore...I seem to get busy and fall behind, and then struggle to catch up on whatever I promised!! This was a very good post, Mary Lou...

Teresa Rawson said...

Yeah for finishes and promises kept! It's hard for me to not make promises, but I've stopped putting deadlines on them. Then I get to them as soon as I can. So, what does 'nearly-half century' mean for you? I turn 50 in December...maybe we really were twins!!

In stitches,
Teresa :o)

Sarah Craig said...

I find when I've promised too many things and get behind that the best thing for me to do is say, "Today I will finish this one thing." Then tomorrow, it's something different.... knocking the list down one at a time. Plus saying no a little more often!

Good post!!

Karen said...

It is easy to get distracted. I have been playing a game on the computer the last two weeks instead of spending the time stitching. Oh, I am stitching too but think how much more I could get done if I didn't play that game.

Crispy said...

Awww don't beat yourself up girl friend, we all get a little slow in keeping promises. The point is, you are getting to them....just in your own sweet time LOL.

All the quilts are lovely btw :0)

Crispy

Shelley said...

Sometimes the promises I keep making are to myself and they end up on the back burner! Need to practice more of the no's...good reminder:)

Lori said...

I very rarely ever make promises unless I KNOW I can keep them. A promise is a big thing!!

Love your quilt tops!

Staci said...

You know your post hit home with most quilters! Myself included! Thanks for sharing your procrastination story--and your determination to do better! VERY INSPIRING!

Miss Hillbilly said...

LOL...on the "no". That's what he gets. :)

Barb said...

I'm not a big promise maker, as I find I'm all together too human and can't always fullfil them. What did Mary Poppins say? "pomises are like pie crust, easily made, easily broken". I'm inspired by how much you are achieving, you should feel good about all the promises you are keeping :)

John'aLee said...

So glad I found your blog! I'm now a follower!

Anonymous said...

I am ever-amazed at your accomplishments! I love that verse!

Poor hubby, getting the "no's"...but then again, he could learn how to cleverly form his question...