Pages

Friday, December 3, 2010

Sleepy in London town

I got a bad case of the sleepies today.  Ugh!!
I was up at 7:00 am, sending a YouTube video to a friend whose secret dream is to sing lounging on a piano! LOL  (She's such a hoot!! :-D)  I sent her -- for all us old fogies who remember such things -- Cher singing V-A-M-P in a bright red evening gown stretched out on an upright piano.  I've linked it below.  Fun, fun, fun! :-D

The boys got their chores done, and school work started, and I got busy piecing my Batik Stars -- a project I started back in September at my first Friday Night Sew In (and there's gonna be two of these in December, the 10th and the 17th! Thanks a million, Heidi!) -- so it was looking like a very productive day.
And then, out of the blue, I was attacked by a viscious case of the sleepies!!! 

 Head lolling, eyes drooping, drool...
Well, no drool, but it's a thousand wonders there wasn't!!

I can't figure out where it came from! I got in bed at 11:30 the night before -- WAY early for me....

I had eaten a nice cinnamon and raisin bagel with a dab (more like a dollop, really) of cream cheese.  Bottle of water (I'm trying to cut the soft drinks so I don't look like the Goodyear Blimp when Jeff comes home).  No meds to make me drowsy.  No heavy labor to make me fatiqued (unless you count the deep cleaning of my sewing room yesterday -- a long overdue project that included a little furniture moving, but nothing heavy as the sewing machine table and TV are on rollers!)

There were no options! Into my room and under the "healing quilt" I went!  All the time thinking (in deep King James soporific tones), "Yet a little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to sleep; So shall thy poverty come as one that travelleth, and thy want as an armed man."  (Proverbs 6:10-11)

Sigh.

And on the heels of that, I could hear my Dad... When we (my sister and I shared a bed when we were young) would oversleep, he would come into the room, grab the quilts at the bottom corners and fan them up and down 'til the breezes on our backsides had us scrambling to put feet on the floor!! All the time, he'd grin and quote, "Awake, O sleepers! and arise from the dead...!" (Ephesians 5:14).

Baptist deacons have weird senses of humor.
I'm just sayin'.
Can I get a witness!?! :-D

Even so, I gave in.
ZZZZzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz

....Two hours later
I returned to the land of the living. Batik Stars here I come! Lunch for the boys! Papers to grade.  Projects to finish.

And "miles to go before I sleep."

Blessings!


Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening by Robert Frost
Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village, though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there's some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.


And for all those who dream of vamping it up on a piano, here's Cher!

16 comments:

antique quilter said...

fun seeing the blocks hanging and oh look at all those yummy fabrics in the book cases....
hope your not too sleepy today
Kathie

Shelley said...

LOLOLROFLOL! Oh my, Cher at 8 in the morning is just too much..what a hoot...the best/freakiest part..seeing Sonny in his "Adam" outfit! LOL! Now I have to go all day with THAT image in my mind....your fault Mary Lou! LOL!

Rhonda M said...

It sounds like the nap made you much more productive for the rest of the day! I stopped feeling guilty for taking a rare brief nap. I work long hours, up very early, up very late, and sometimes your body just needs a rest. I love your sewing room, love the blocks. I love the Bible verses that you apply to every day life. God bless!

Sarah Craig said...

To paraphrase a current t-shirt design, "God Gave Us Naps To Show Us That He Loves Us!" And do you remember Michelle Pfeifer in the "Fabulous Baker Boys"? She vamped on top of a piano, too.....

Christy said...

I love that I knew what book you were quoting at the end before I even scrolled down far enough to see it!

Staci said...

Old fogies!!! Mary Lou, we are FAR TOO YOUNG to be called that! Why, we are fresh as the morning dew. Or maybe we are as fresh as Mountain Dew? After all, it is well preserved in those cans. . . .

Crispy said...

You are no old fogie!! You have to be like me, in bed by 9pm and up an 3 to hit the bathroom and then finally up at 5am. Of course an hour nap is always taken in the late morning, if time allows :0)

LOVE your stars!!

Crispy

Mary said...

There are times we just have to give in. Our bodies often know better than we think what they need. And you feel so much better now, yes?

LuAnn said...

Mary Lou - I love those stars. Wow! Pretty fabrics. I've had some sleepy days, too. I think we should blame it on the weather. I think it's either age or weather...and I don't want to choose age...not yet. Have a good day.

StitchinByTheLake said...

There are some days I couldn't sleep during the day if my life depended on it and other days when I couldn't stay awake! blessings, marlene

Miss Hillbilly said...

Oh my goodness! Wow!
LOL...I even remember that song now. I used to love to watch the Sonny and Cher show. And Donny and Marie.
Thanks for the chuckle!

Vivian said...

The Sonny and Cher show was always a favorite of mine. I loved the blend of comedy and music. What fun to see her up on the piano again.
Your Scrap Basket Surprise stars are so bright and pretty. They're another on my bucket list of quilts to make, and I'm going to REALLY be an old fogie if I make every one on that list.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

How well I understand, I need a nap after a weekend with Mason... and maybe I'll be sleepy tomorrow too. Love your blocks and your block-hanging system, SLICK!

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

Thanks for the giggles! Love your blog! I'm a follower now. :-)

angie said...

I frequently get a case of the "sleepies" myself. Especially when it's so cold outside and so warm inside. Maybe it's all the quilts we make--they just make you want to curl up under them and take a nap! :)

Barb said...

hi there!
that video is a scream - my dream was to be a back up singer, in the tight dress and dance moves, lol....
your stars are wonderful!