Pages

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Finishing School!

I've decided that Judy at Patchwork Times is my "Finishing Governess."  Back in the mother country (that would be merry old England), and back in the day (regency era, when men were rakes and women sat in drawing rooms and embroidered....sigh), a finishing governess would be employed the year before a girl's "come out" to polish her for presentation.
So I've got several projects that need finishing! And Judy's UFO Challenge is just the schoolmaster I need (at least I HOPE! :-D).

In addition to the Quilt Tops I listed here, I also want to complete the quilting on some tops that have piled up for way too long.  I'd planned to learn to use my Hobby Quilter in 2010, but never got to it.  So I want to rectify that neglect this year.  I also want to get back into hand quilting, which I love.  Here's what I want to finish up:



Quilts to Finish Completely (quilted/bound) in 2011:
  1. Mountain Laurel Sampler (hand quilted)
  2. Somerset (Jo Morton - machine)
  3. Baby Rose (Jo Morton - machine)
  4. Pick Up Sticks (Jo Morton - machine)
  5. Razzle Dazzle (machine)
  6. Thimbleberries Take 5 (machine)
  7. Ocean Waves (hand quilted)
  8. Christmas Friendship Star (machine)
  9. Batik Stars (machine)
  10. Ribbons (machine)
  11. 5-Stripe Thimbleberries (machine)
  12. 4-Patch Strippy (Jo Morton - machine) 
All the challenges in Blogdom won't help me finish, though (notwithstanding Judy's valient efforts! :-), unless I am determined and persistent!
In Scripture, James had some thoughts about that...
He said, "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." (James 1:2-4)  I like how the Amplified version expounds on verse 4:  "Let endurance and steadfastness and patience have full play and do a thorough work..."

I think I'm ready to let them have full play!! -- as long as they play nicely with the other projects waiting in the wings! :-D -- so that in the end, they may be "perfect and entire" (KJV).

Would that all areas of my life would be so surrended, that the trials that come and test my faith would find ME perfect and entire!  Let it be so, Lord Jesus.

Blessings!


P.S.  In keeping with my desire for accountability, I've added two pages above. One will document my UFO Challenge progress, the other my weight loss/fitness progress. :-) I'd also like to include one for my other 2011 Resolution for a daily quiet time, but I'm not sure how to chronicle that yet.  I'll think more on it and see what works! :-)  Pop over and take a look!  Blessings!

10 comments:

Meredith said...

Good luck with that list.

Teresa Rawson said...

Wow! That is an impressive list to go by, but do-able. I'm rootin' for ya! I spent some time yesterday evaluating my 2010 to-do list and trying to form a 2011 must do list. I was able to move on about half and finish. Why couldn't I touch the others?? Hmmm...

In stitches,
Teresa :o)

Crispy said...

Oooo I'm lovin' this quilt!! I know you will get most of what you have listed done but don't beat yourself up if you don't, after all quilting is for fun. I will be cheering you on :0)

Crispy
PS - I'm more than willing to laugh at/with you LOL

Sarah Craig said...

I saw a great inspiration/reward for weight loss - you get a fat quarter for every pound you lose! Now that might motivate me to lose some weight!! Why oh why doesn't quilting burn calories??? ;-)

Anonymous said...

That's quite a list. Maybe I should make a list too! I can't wait to see you checking them off and sharing them with us!

Sarcastic Quilter said...

Fantastic projects and I can't wait to see your progress this year as you finish them.

As for Judy, "finishing governess" is a very appropriate nickname for her. lol

Cheri said...

You and Theresa make me smile. Okay, I have been motivated, I got out a top that needs to be machine quilted, I finished it last spring. I will also share your WW progress, I joined online also. Only 2 lbs my first week, I was a little disappointed - thought I would have a Biggest Loser double digit loss. Okay, I am staying focused/motivated/movitated on all fronts.
Happy Stitching,
Cheri

Barb said...

Hooray - I'm trying to do ufos this year too!
Your list looks long and challenging and I applaud you!
Happy New Year -
I'm off to catch up on my blog readings

Janet said...

You have big plans for 2011 :0) I sure like the look of those Jo Morton ufo's. You'll have some beautiful quilts to show for your efforts! Good luck!

Transsubstantiatio said...

Hello nice bblog